Hands-on: Microsoft's Sculpt Touch Mouse, Sculpt Mobile Keyboard Designed for Wi

Status
Not open for further replies.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
IMO the only Windows 8 peripheral that actually makes W8's Modern UI bearable on a non-touch PC is the T650 wireless touchpad by Logitech. Simply changing the scroll wheel to a small touchpad isn't going to cut it. The T650 makes it a relatively enjoyable experience after a bit of a learning curve.

At first I though it would be really nice to have win8 functions on a mouse like this until a realized that swiping in from different directions works for touch because your hand is already on that side of the screen. Swiping in on a mouse still means that you have to move your mouse to the side of the screen to get the menu to do anything. Other than pinch to zoom functionality it is kinda pointless in a lot of ways.
Still curious to see the review, but I think that there will not be a compelling touch replacement until we get gesture support from kinect for PC (retail, not the current dev kit), or touch emulation from a device like leap motion.

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
...Instead, these Sculpt peripherals seem best suited for notebooks, Ultramooks, hybrids and perhaps even 10-inch tablets like Microsoft's Surface...

"Ultramooks"? Is that the new term for someone who pays $1000 for a laptop with crappy specs, just because it's light?

fnord-42

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
I found a free utility at www.appmonks.com/sculpt that will toggle key remapping and lock the F1-F12 keys and make PrtScn the INS key. Script source is there if you want to change it.

Running that script, it's a near perfect keyboard for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.