Hands-on: Motorola Razr HD - A Clean Android Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I like the idea of a Kevlar back. While I know the stuff is durable, does anyone know if the snap-fits that would keep it connected to the body of the case are also durable? Kevlar is a bit more expensive than some other phone backing materials and would be a pain to replace if the snap-fits failed...

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I am still running my droid x, skipped the SIII, I have been considering the Razr M and Razr HD, I just don't want to renew my verizon contract and lose my unlimited data. Decisions, decisions....

Best thing about this is... they also have a Hd MAXX phone, similar specs with this one but even bigger battery.
If that one comes with unlocked bootloader on GSM, I'm all over it.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]I am still running my droid x, skipped the SIII, I have been considering the Razr M and Razr HD, I just don't want to renew my verizon contract and lose my unlimited data. Decisions, decisions....[/citation]

Pay the full price for the phone, and you wont =)

It will jsut be treated as a device upgrade

txwest06

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
same here, I have a droid x on verizon w/unlimited data, but upgrading to a new phone. just depends on how much data you use. if you travel often & use lots of data might be worth keeping unlimited. however, I checked my monthly data usage & it's less than 1gb, so don't care if I lose unlimited data.
I don't want to keep having to keep pay full retail price every time I want to upgrade to a new phone.
not sure if family share is for everyone might work for familys, however, for individual users the plans should offer more flexibility instead of one plan fits all.

jesh4622

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Seriously, people are still staying on verizon after being cheated out of unlimited data and being forced to pay for your own upgrades? On top of the highest rates in the industry?
I would use ANY other company after all the shafts verizon has thrown my way.

-ex verizon customer

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I love MC's version of Android 4.0 & 4.1. I have the Atrix HD (still on 4.0) and its quite nice. The circles widget is useful and looks good. I LOVE that the Home screen is always on the LEFT... always hated its center location with Samsung.

I still like the HUMP because I can feel which way is UP.

MC needs to improve the camera software (they did come out with an update which DID improve the camera a bit and added HDR and a few other effects). The screen is bright and colorful (compared to the SGSIII), but its color is a bit off - which I can live with.

The current Motorola phones take a about a week to get its power savings working good. After its first 100% charge, with minimal use within 2-3 hours, the phone showed 70% battery life. OUCH! People have been returning these phones... freaking out.

After two weeks, I'm usually 60%~55% battery left at the end of the day. I've gone two days without charging for 20% left.

The only thing I give BAD marks for "pure Android" is that the clock & timer adjustment isn't as easy as it should be... A numeric keyboard SHOULD always be shown so I can enter "6:45" if I want to... not spinning tiny little wheels into position.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]jackt[/nom]Too large borders ! too big ! And why the buttons are on display ???[/citation]
A bit... its just like the Atrix HD. It looks fine. The Droid M has a 4.3" screen in a phone body that is just as narrow as an iPhone 4/5... that screen is very close to the edge.

But having a bigger boarder may protect the display better... I don't have data to confirm.

A TRUE Android 4.x phone has the main buttons on the display itself. I've gone from a 2yr old Samsung to the Atrix HD with the same screen as you see here and I'm good with it. I was worried at first.

They can ROTATE with the phone. So if you are Texting or using a browser and many other apps, those menu buttons can move around... which *I DO LIKE*.

I'd like to see Motorola enable the MAIN Screen/Home rotate on their regular phones like they do on their slider models. An example: http://www.techrockstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Motorola-Photon-Q-1.jpg

G

@belardo, when you've got spinning dials for entering values, try just pressing on the number you want to change. That normally brings up a keypad entry method so you don't have to spin to get what you want.

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]jackt[/nom]Too large borders ! too big ! And why the buttons are on display ???[/citation]

Its borders are not too Large side and top they are one of the smallest borders on any phone...

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
It's all good. I'm happy on my DROID RAZR MAXX. :D Purchased it JIT to keep my unlimited data plan and pay the subsidized price.

I know there's going to be a DROID RAZR MAXX HD, but with the same battery. It'll probably draw more power, have a SLIGHTLY better screen and not last as long as my phone. In the end, I just care about the battery. Otherwise, every other Android phone pretty much does what I want/need it to do.

G

With the snapdragon processor the maxx hd should last even longer despite the small display increase. It looks pretty big, though. Ideally, the M should have come with an HD display. The size and build are perfect and i suspect the HD model will trickle in the spring.

G

How is the actual camera performance on the new RAZR HD. How does it compare to the SIII and the iPhone 5?

I have a droid X and my camera is HORRIBLE compared to the HTC Rezound and the SIII!!

nitestorm

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I wonder if they improved the camera on the Razr HD? With the Razr M, I heard they didn't. Right now I loved the fact it's has a bigger hd screen and larger battery. But if it has a good camera like the gs3, then I'll opt for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.