Hands-On: Razer Tiamat 2.2 Headset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gimmick and nothing more, while I like the mice made by Razer, they need to stay out of the sound department and leave it to real audio companies.

Audiophile Headphones: 1

Gaming Headphones: 0

bobiseverywhere

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
My question is have they improved the microphone over the Timat since the mic on that headset leaves you sounding muffled and just is quite sad.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Razer is like apple. The products they make cost a lot not because of quality but because of brand. These are 20$ headset but woopdedoo its 99$ because its razer gaymen gear.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]Razer is like apple. The products they make cost a lot not because of quality but because of brand. These are 20$ headset but woopdedoo its 99$ because its razer gaymen gear.[/citation] My naga cost 70 bucks and has 17 buttons.....find me something better then that, last year when i bought it. FYI g600 just came out.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]Razer is like apple. The products they make cost a lot not because of quality but because of brand. These are 20$ headset but woopdedoo its 99$ because its razer gaymen gear.[/citation]
Razer is like Logitech. They sell computer peripherals.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
I have to say Razer dropped the bomb on the Tiamat 7.1. I've waited months for that headset, had finally bought it in July for myself as a birthday gift and "Oh Lord, Jesus" was it pure trash.

Now, the sound quality of the headset itself is nothing better than a regular digital 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound headset. I actually have a Turtle Beach Earforce headset that is all digital and it sounds better, and the microphone is better. Which is sad.

Now, the microphone is just utter garbage. It probably cost more in labor to actually do the little gimmicky tuck away microphone on the side thing, than the microphone itself. I actually have an extremely old microphone, that actually looks like the microphone symbol you see on computers today from an old Windows 95 PC that I had, and this microphone works better. When I tell you how unbelievably unhappy I was with the quality of this microphone it was just depressing.

The money wasn't even the issue, I stand by Razer, I've had their products before, and I still have my BF3 Imperator 2012.

But what really had me disappointed was that my friends where actually laughing at me because I just spent $200 on a headset that is outperformed by a $5 you can get at a Wal-Mart or local Radio Shack. They have various brands of headsets from Triton to Turtle Teach as well.

Avoid this headset at all costs literally go buy anything else because anything will do just as good or better than this headset or its beefier 7.1 father.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
For 13 bucks, I bought a "Stand Alone" Microphone,

http://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Computer-Laptop-Notebook-canceling/dp/B002KL0VY2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1348520308&sr=8-7&keywords=microphone

It outperforms any headset mic I've owned, and I just leave it setting on my desk. I talk to people and I'm not even near the thing. it still works.

Anyway I'm just pointing out that there are good ways to good microphones and good audio without paying big money. I also use some full base speakers that I bought for 20 bucks. So for 32.00 dollars I have a fantastic mic and decent audio. Yeah its not on my head, but I NEVER have to worry about the wires either..........

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]liquidchild[/nom]My naga cost 70 bucks and has 17 buttons.....find me something better then that, last year when i bought it. FYI g600 just came out.[/citation]
Naga has a horrible sensor so cant use it for anything but mmorpgs. Also the whole 1000 buttons on mouse thing is pretty useless since you can easily bind everything you need on keyboard.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Headsets are usually (99.99%) crappy in terms of quality. You would be 100x better off buying a nice $90 pair of headphones and a $10 mic. Both would be tons better than a headset

[citation][nom]xkche[/nom]i read in other web that the tiamat 7.1 are awesome but now you dessapoint mehow about the Cooler Master 5.1?: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste [...] 8QGN6HFEGYI just want a cool 5.1 true headset for movies and BF3[/citation]

Don't bother with gaming headphones at all, buy a real set of cans and use CMSS-3D or Dolby for surround sound; it's much better option.

G

The positional audio comes from the Tiamat 7.1's.

The 2.2's are only sterio, and if you want a positional feel there's teh Carcharias (5.1 simulated), the Barracudas (True 5.1), the Megalodons (7.1 simulated), and the Tiamat 7.1s (7.1 true).

I've owned the Carcharias and the Tiamat 7.1. They are both great and do what they say they do. It's amazing.

The 2.2's are great stereo audio with deep bass for a more immersed feel.

abendschein

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
[citation][nom]Razec69[/nom]I have to say Razer dropped the bomb on the Tiamat 7.1. I've waited months for that headset, had finally bought it in July for myself as a birthday gift and "Oh Lord, Jesus" was it pure trash.Now, the sound quality of the headset itself is nothing better than a regular digital 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound headset. I actually have a Turtle Beach Earforce headset that is all digital and it sounds better, and the microphone is better. Which is sad.Now, the microphone is just utter garbage. It probably cost more in labor to actually do the little gimmicky tuck away microphone on the side thing, than the microphone itself. I actually have an extremely old microphone, that actually looks like the microphone symbol you see on computers today from an old Windows 95 PC that I had, and this microphone works better. When I tell you how unbelievably unhappy I was with the quality of this microphone it was just depressing.The money wasn't even the issue, I stand by Razer, I've had their products before, and I still have my BF3 Imperator 2012.But what really had me disappointed was that my friends where actually laughing at me because I just spent $200 on a headset that is outperformed by a $5 you can get at a Wal-Mart or local Radio Shack. They have various brands of headsets from Triton to Turtle Teach as well.Avoid this headset at all costs literally go buy anything else because anything will do just as good or better than this headset or its beefier 7.1 father.[/citation]
I'm sorry, but you either got a horrible product that was ruined during assembly, or your audio is just bad.

I've owned my Tiamat's since their second release, and I have had nothing but positive experience. The microphone is very good, and combined with proper audio drivers, no one is the wiser between it and my stand alone studio microphone.

As far as audio difference between true drivers and digital simulated, you obviously have not heard either. There is a literal, physical difference, and if you're not hearing it then something is definitely wrong. It's either your hearing, or at least 3 out of the 5 drivers in each ear are broken.

abendschein

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]Naga has a horrible sensor so cant use it for anything but mmorpgs. Also the whole 1000 buttons on mouse thing is pretty useless since you can easily bind everything you need on keyboard.[/citation]
Horrible sensor that makes it only usable in MMORPGS?

You know obviously nothing about hardware peripherals or even anything electronic.

A sensor does not differentiate between gaming genres, ever. lol

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
[citation][nom]abendschein[/nom]I'm sorry, but you either got a horrible product that was ruined during assembly, or your audio is just bad.I've owned my Tiamat's since their second release, and I have had nothing but positive experience. The microphone is very good, and combined with proper audio drivers, no one is the wiser between it and my stand alone studio microphone. As far as audio difference between true drivers and digital simulated, you obviously have not heard either. There is a literal, physical difference, and if you're not hearing it then something is definitely wrong. It's either your hearing, or at least 3 out of the 5 drivers in each ear are broken.[/citation]

No, sorry. I like my father am a HUGE audiophile, I will show you a picture of my living room, the 10+ year stack of Audiophile magazine and the huge collection of CDs and Vinyl records to prove it.

I know the difference of even the slightest mid-range or low-range tweeter. I know sound. Like I said, the audio was good, but not significantly better than other simulated/digital surround sound.

When I did speak to a customer support agent we both came to the conclusion it was defective, but the fact that it was defective and that so many other people complained about the microphone was reason enough to send it back and get a refund.

Again the audio was great. But, what was the worst part was the microphone. Even other reviews on youtube or sources say the microphone is terrible. It sounded muffled and extremely low. Just look it up yourself.

Also its not my sound card. I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum. All the drivers are up to date, and I have never had an issue with it.

Did I get a defective product? More than likely, like I said. But for the simple fact that I am not the only person getting a defective product makes it a fail.

I don't even care that I spent $200, I was willing and happy to do it, but the product itself was so terrible, and again I wasn't the only person.

And how often do you talk to people with that headset? I am pretty sure its rare. Again the audio was good, but not what I expected at all. Hell my $30 Logitech headset had just as good digital surround as the TRUE analog Tiamat 7.1, and I had a few people test it.

shriganesh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
This hands-on is incomplete! There is detailed spec listed anywhere! Is this a true 5.1 (aka multiple speakers inside each cup) headphone or just simulated/emulated crap? This is single most important detail when deciding on such high end headsets!

pips

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
If you're a headset audiophile, you're not arguing over gaming headsets on the Internet. You're listening to your Jazz on your Grado GS1000i, or Sennheiser HD 800s. Your pewpews are not going to replicate well over audiophile grade cans, so you can grab a pair of Beats rip offs that feel the best on your ears for those long 8 hour poopsocking stretches of gaming.

Bryce Lynch

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
How much did Razer pay you to write this, Razer is crap, their design is terrible. What makes them think that 7 foot long cords made of rope that frays is a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.