Hands-On: Sony SmartWatch 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

myriad46

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Far more objective an assessment of Android Wear than this (http://www.tomsguide.com/us/android-wear-too-skimpy,news-20048.html)

Your last statement is curious to me. I don't think the smartwatch is supposed to replace our smart phone. I suppose it may someday, but this generation is meant to be more than a gimmick as an enhancement of a smartphone, in my opinion. Nice article.

I just picture a couple having an argument, and one of them nodding their head to look down and swiping their wristwatch repeatedly to dismiss all kinds of notifications. The other thinks they are winning. ;-)

Your major complaint wasn't illustrated in a photo.

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
"Smartwatches are somewhat of a gimmick until they're capable of replacing your smartphone, but Sony's SmartWatch 3 is a bold step in that direction. "

With the growing screen sizes for smart phones, why would anyone think a smart watch with a 1.6 inch screen would ever be a capable replacement for a smart phone? I would view it kind of like how I view tablet vs desktops. The tablet gives me good mobility but imposes other limitations (lot less power CPU, much smaller screen, etc). There's the same kind of trade offs associated with the smart watch vs smart phone. Plus, those smart watches pictured above are pretty ugly! :)

SylentVyper

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
I still don't understand the need to put a damn quad-core 1.2GHz chip into a smartwatch. That is insanity. The #1 complaint - by far - about smartwatches is battery life. Why not throw in a single core? There is nothing you'd be doing on something like this that would require 4 cores...

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Battery-life and water resistance are two important things for me. 2 days is not long and I'm sure real-world use will get more like 1-1.5 days so pretty much every night it goes on the charger. No mention of waterproofedness in this article. I like the idea of an e-ink display. The Pebble seems to be a winner.

A two-week battery life might be acceptable if it comes with a NFC charging pad; you just set it down and it charges. Finnagling with a tiny connector which seems like an obvious point of failure, every day, is not a reasonable option. Not being able to last through a week long business trip (or vacation) without charging is a dealbreaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS