Hands On With OnLive's Android/iPad Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurboura

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
@cangelini
The problem most people on this website can't comprehend is why this service exists. It's for what you said in your article, those with older desktops and notebooks that can't play modern games smoothly. One thing that did get me was your statement: "I have to wonder, though, how many folks with four-year old notebooks and no better desktop system at their disposal pay for 5+ Mb/s Internet connections?" I know of several family members who have 6 and 7 year old desktops, but with high speed internet for downloading music, movies and other things.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
And they're probably not Tom's Hardware readers, are they? =) For *most* of the folks reading this site regularly, OnLive isn't attractive.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
For $10 a month, this seems like a fairly attractive idea. There are a lot of die hard steam lovers out there, but I don't play favorites. Many of the new tablets coming out have 30GB drives, which isn't enough to install many games.

If I could hook up my $400 android Tablet to a TV at my friends house, connect a bluetooth controller to it, and play call of duty using just a descent internet connection. That's a hell of a lot better use of my $'s then buying a gaming laptop or a high powered portable desktop.

mleejr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Cangelini, your article is a year old. I have a fast PC and I love onlive. I have it installed on devices all over my house and have the microconsole. I love them all. Onlive is so incredible. I brought my 'console' on vacation with me and could fit it in my pocket.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Why does Toms keep peddling this OnLive crap? I don't want cloud or anything like it. I want to pay my money and get my game. More and more control is being relinquished from the user to the content provider.

Kaltano

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Why does Toms keep peddling this OnLive crap? I don't want cloud or anything like it. I want to pay my money and get my game. More and more control is being relinquished from the user to the content provider.[/citation]

Because you aren't Tom's only reader.

G

I have OnLive and I really like it. While I have a computer capable of playing the games themselves, there's often sales on OnLive which makes it much cheaper to buy the games there. Plus being able to play the exact same savegames anywhere, on computers that may be far below the game's specs (such as my work laptop), and the fact that soon I can play on my mobile devices, that is just awesome.

Plus, I got the TV console for free. It's very cool and I hope it just keeps getting more titles!

chelatek

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]And they're probably not Tom's Hardware readers, are they? =) For *most* of the folks reading this site regularly, OnLive isn't attractive.[/citation]

Really, because I think anyone who isn't interested in this, even if they don't personally want the service, just isn't that interested in technology. Just because you had a bad experience a year ago a) doesn't reflect on the modern service b) doesn't mean this doesn't fit a niche. It's a very cool technology, the experience NOW is amazing (just getting the controls this responsive is awesome), and even if you don't personally want it, I don't see how you can't want to see where this is going. Cloud gaming probably will be the future of gaming, it takes it "out of the hands" of the consumer, but newsflash, read your EULA, it was never in your hands to begin with.

shenglong

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
onlive is ok on pc, not as smooth graphically as i would like altho the controls are very good (little to no lag) BUT its really going to dominate on android and other lower powered machines, i cant wait to see it on android !!!

G

I have onlive on my 5year old computer with rogers high speed and i can't even explain how flawless it is even on this older computer not only that I agree 1000% with "chelatek" because this is going to be the future of gaming. You think I wanna buy a new system everytime it comes out so i can play new games, pfft my computer is here to last, the only system i need and if we can play on IOS and Android I dont understand how anyone can't think this is sick

1.No game downloads/no disc = NO SCRATCHED OR LOST DISC.

2.Sawp between games really fast.

3.Large selection, free trails and playpass price is very worth the price.

4.Arena - easily could be used to show a friend how to pass a level or stage

5.Universal - Soon we will be able to play on almost anything

6.Supports gaming controllers - makes it feel like playing xbox.

I could go on and on about it but true gamers and tech savvys will have already been convinced as soon as they see this new option in gaming.

PS: If your computer cant run onlive then it should be in the garbage by now!

G

I live in europe and I have 5mbps network, but the controls have noticeable delay =( But im still sure its future of gaming. (Writed with tablet PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.