Hands On With Razer's New 14" Blade Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
I absolutely love this laptop's design. It's the right size for travel, it's thin and has a great color scheme. Unfortunately I wouldn't pay more than $300 for any machine that relies on an Intel HD graphics chip. Intel has a very long history of discontinuing driver support for it's graphics chips the moment that chip's successor is released. In my mind it potentially renders this machine little more than an expensive netbook in under a year. You'll never know if that new game that just came out will run correctly on the laptop and with Intel's driver history you're unlikely to see an update to improve compatibility the way you do with nVidia or AMD graphics. I personally hope Razer releases a similar laptop based on an AMD APU. Then they'll have my money.

bokeh

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

The 14" Blade actually has an Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M graphics card. It is a potent graphics card for a system this small and thin. A good bit faster than the 660M in the 17" Blade that I reviewed earlier.

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

This laptop has 2 gig Ram card from NVIDIA. It only uses Intel graphic chip when the graphic power's not needed to save battery.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
There are pros and cons to this machine... on one hand it's very easy to lug around considering it's a 14" laptop... on the other hand, 14" is just too small for me. I find anything smaller than a 17,3" laptop with a full size keyboard uncomfortable to use for gaming.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

Definitely. It's got the slim Ultrabook feel and power to boot. I've added it to my if I win the lottery wish list.

Graversen

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Since it's obviously using a TN-panel, could you check how many Hz the monitor max. can run with? It's properly very unlikely but imagine if it supported 120 Hz, then we could really talk about a FPS-oriented gaming-laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.