Hands-on With the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
It amazes me how many people think it uses stylus input only and lacks finger input.
On most of the reviews of this device the comments at the bottom are always filled with people hating on the Note because it has a stylus! Saying a stylus is useless and that finger input is superior.
I think Samsung needs to educate the public about this. Many of there ads feature only stylus input and people are getting the wrong impression. I really wish this was a Full HD AMOLED display. I will wait for the next revision with the Exynos5 CPU and retina display.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
With the most powerful CPU in a tablet this generation I was hoping they would atleast bump the resolution up to 1920x1200...

If Asus can push that resolution with the Tegra 3, why can't Samsung do it with the more powerful Exynos quad core?

balev

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Almost everything's great but I will be choosing a different tablet simply because of the proprietary connectors.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I bought one and had it overnighted so I could play with it this weekend. I'm very happy with it. I'm a digital artist and love to draw on the go. I have been using a Motion Computing LE1700 for my portable art needs. That thing gets horrible battery life never exceeding 1 hour. It runs hot, sometimes bogs down badly and screws up pen strokes, but has a great resolution and drawing surface. The screen is awful though. The first thing I noticed with the Galaxy Note 10.1 is how crisp and clear the screen is. It's very colorful although the resolution could be better. The S Pen acts very much like the LE1700's pen without the annoying lag that crops up from time to time. Battery life appears to be at least 6 hours although I don't know the exact amount yet so it's probably higher. The whole Android OS has been very responsive and a pleasure to use. The palm block sometimes fails to work though. I wish I could just turn off touch input while in Photoshop Touch or other art apps.

The screen surface feels like it's made out of arcylic or some sort of plastic. It doesn't feel quite as thick or smooth as the LE1700's. The Note 10.1 gives a bit of spongy feel in comparison with the advantage of getting the pen point closer to the actual pixels. The spongy thing is very subtle. Artists drawing on a Intuos 4 probably won't notice, but going from an LE1700 or Intuos 3 makes the difference obvious. Photoshop Touch uses the stylus pen pressure, but defaults to really making you press down to get larger strokes. I'm looking for other drawing apps at the moment. Sketchbook Pro, Markers, and LayerPaint are all on my list to try.

I'm really happy with this tablet so far. Definitely a good buy for digital artists! The LE1700 is always a hit when I meet up with other artists, but now the Note 10.1 will steal the show since it won't die in the middle of arts!

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Wow, thought it was an iPad from the pictures! SAMEsuck really needs to hire a design team rather than copy every single thing Apple does.

Thankfully, this joke of a product will flop, as no one buys android tablets. Now that Apppe is moving to new suppliers, SAMEsh1t can't steal from Apple r and d as fast anymore.

Looks like Samsung got a winner here, probably the next iteration will upgrade the screen. It's very good as it is (thanks bigdragon for your input, actually first review I get to read that comes from an artist), given the technology behind it.

Apple is definitely cursing the day they did NOT think to add stylus functionality to their little toys, now they're always be second (that is, if Samsung lets them have the patent to this, somehow I doubt it). To the trolls that claim they can't tell the difference between this and an iPad, they really need to have their eyes AND their IQ checked. Fact is, they're just green with envy. Example given: the troll above, getreal, the most foul-mouthed Apple troll on this forum. He got so enraged by the fact that Samsung came up with something Apple didn't even think of, he even forgot how to spell in his rush to spew his half-baked childish immature name-calling stuff he calls a "post". He even owns himself by stating that nobody buys Android tablets, when everyone knows nexus 7(to give just an example) is selling like hot cakes. Typical Apple kiddie logic (rather, lack thereof). QOD.
I rest my case.

[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]With the most powerful CPU in a tablet this generation I was hoping they would atleast bump the resolution up to 1920x1200...If Asus can push that resolution with the Tegra 3, why can't Samsung do it with the more powerful Exynos quad core?[/citation]
likely issues with the digitizer, don't forget the tech behind the screen is new. I am sure the next gen will have that bumped up, now that they know it works well and people can use it nicely.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
SameSuck incorporates a stylus, something from 20 years ago, and somehow that is revolutionary? It can't even match the screen resolution and quality of the iPad that came out 6 months ago LOL. PATHETICl.

Companies like Apple are the real innovators, bringing robust touch to new products. This same sh1t is a dud and will be lucky if it sells 100,000 units in the US. We don't want this substandard crap here.

If I'm paying $550 for a tablet, I'd at least want some good looking tablet, not some cheaper glossy one. I can't believe so many manufacturers keep missing this point.

Also: real artists use a Wacom tablet. Enough said.

I have to apologize in advance for the wall of test here, feel free to jump to the last paragraph.
LOL. A little troll-feeding (read "getreal feeding"):

Your argument that Android tablets don't sell seems to be contradicted by facts. According to the same logic, hot cakes don't sell either, because Nexus 7 (to give just an example) is selling like that.
You bring up numbers in terms of Android units (and this particular Tab), giving us your "invaluable" estimate of sales. You seem to conveniently forget that there are more than one model out there, giving people a real choice in terms of purchase, and I will put this on the fact that you, as a Apple user, can not really understand what "choice" means, because you don't have one when you buy your tablet/phone. You also seem to forget the fact that Android is still number one mobile OS in the world, and are completely oblivious to the fact that it is so simply because it is a superior OS with unmatched flexibility, giving users a choice (again that "cursed" word) regarding how their devices should operate and feel. Fact is, you can not stand the fact that not everyone has your preference in terms of technology, and the simple fact that others might actually enjoy their choice (and the fact that they have a choice) drives you insane.
You bring up the fact that a digitizer and stylus is "old technology". There have been no new technology since the invention of the wheel (so to speak), and your precious iPad was stolen from Gene R., the father of Star Trek. According to your same logic, iPad, which is merely a tablet, is not revolutionary, either, because tablets have been invented a long time ago, they all deploy screens and just a bump in resolution is not something to brag about. Applying double standards to your assessments only proves that writing while intoxicated with rage is always going to give you away as a troll, and that is rather sooner than later.
Before you start ranting about how Android buyers are only able to purchase subsidized devices, may I remind you that everybody that buys an iPhone is buying it with a wireless plan, hence at subsidized price. If you were to walk in an Apple store and purchase one at a FULL price you would likely have to go back to your mother and ask for your 10-year allowance in advance. I say there is nothing wrong with people purchasing phones at subsidized prices (albeit there is something wrong with the whole subsidy sale model, as people can not get discounted plans for bringing their own phones, but that's entirely another story), because purchasing power has nothing to do with being a decent human being, although I have seen you shamelessly claim on this forum that you are better than others because you can afford to buy an iPhone. I hope you're enjoying your subsidized (read: cheap) device and I welcome you in the "inferior" people's ranks; just make sure you don't mention who you are to them, they might not take it too lightly. LOL.
Last, but not least, name-calling and looking down one's nose at others is not only uncivilized, but also childish and grotesque and does not belong in a technical forum. If you like posting this much, why don't you join the ranks of helpers in the Forums, with your vast knowledge in iTechnology you might be able to steer a few people that are having issues with their Apple-issued tech (gasp, I know, incredible, isn't it?) and help them fix their problems. While this is a reasonable suggestion, the overall tendency of your posts leads me to believe that your people skills are very poorly developed.

I would like to stick around and teach you a thing or two about class, but this is something you can't teach; you either have it, or you don't. Obviously, you don't belong to the first category. Reading your posts brings a vivid image of an enraged nerd foaming at the mouth spewing curses, mixed with the tale of the "sour grapes". If you don't know what I am referring to, read it up. Reading is good for you, opens up your mind and enables you to make better choices in life (sorry, I had to use the c-word again).
If the above is too much for your reading, let me translate it for you: you owned yourself in almost each and every post on this forum, showing a complete lack of education and knowledge. I didn't have to do a thing; last piece of advice - it's better to shut up and let people think you are dumb than open your mouth are remove all doubt about it.
It's a nice day out there, even if Samsung came up with something new today; get out of the basement and take a deep breath, you might like it.

Have to end the feeding, got better things to do with my life. Adios.

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]If I'm paying $550 for a tablet, I'd at least want some good looking tablet, not some cheaper glossy one. I can't believe so many manufacturers keep missing this point.Also: real artists use a Wacom tablet. Enough said.[/citation]
Hmmm. You either are a real artist, or know pretty much all of them, kudos in each case.
Also, you seem to think that bigdragon ([citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]I bought one and had it overnighted so I could play with it this weekend. I'm very happy with it. I'm a digital artist and love to draw on the go...[/citation]
is not a real artist, since he seems to like this tablet. Care to elaborate about that?

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I did try some other apps in addition to Photoshop Touch. Sketchbook Pro has a great minimum and maximum radius option on their tools allowing me to tweak the behavior of the Note 10.1's pressure sensitivity. LayerPaint was also a strong option because of its user-specified canvas sizes and excellent ability to palm block. LayerPaint seemed to pick up even the slightest stylus activity compared to the others. I also tried a program called Markers but did not like the inability to zoom, pan, and otherwise manipulate the canvas. If I get some time to draw later maybe I'll post what I draw with the tablet.

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]If I'm paying $550 for a tablet, I'd at least want some good looking tablet, not some cheaper glossy one. I can't believe so many manufacturers keep missing this point.Also: real artists use a Wacom tablet. Enough said.[/citation]
The day I got my Motion Computing LE1700 is the day I stopped using my Wacom Intuos 3. The LE1700 has a Wacom digitizer built in. The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 has the same technology although it doesn't say Wacom. Anyone can make a Wacom device these days because some of their patents got invalidated a couple years ago.

It's time to drop the Wacom-only dogma. Anyone still spewing that needs to try the Note 10.1 or an LE1700 or some other tablet with an active, Wacom-like digitizer. It's liberating not to be chained to a desk with an immobile Cintiq sitting atop it and its mess of wires on the other side. It's great to be able to draw right on the screen in real time anywhere. You can go to a park, a convention, the beach, or anywhere and draw right there. No more sketchbooks. While this is not practical for artists who are paid to sit in an office to come up with commercial stuff it is practical for freelancers, hobbyists, or idea people.

romuh

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
why this nonsense 30-pin plug? With all devices that I have, one charger for all on micro USB this one with Apple-copy 30 pin plug is a failure!

Status
Not open for further replies.