Hands-On With The Vampire Counts Of 'Total War: Warhammer'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirk_Funk

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
I am a little disappointed in these screen shots. It looks like Attila, it's another reskin of Rome II.

Perhaps graphically, but personally I feel this is the most exciting TW game since I first discovered Rome:TW back in the day (back when "total war" came after the specific time period in the title!) Having magic in the game opens up so many possibilities, and the development crew can actually get a little creative instead of just implementing historically accurate units, and factions can end up being more balanced without worrying about being true to real history. Graphically I won't be able to max it out anyways so I'm just hoping it scales down well.

Perhaps graphically, but personally I feel this is the most exciting TW game since I first discovered Rome:TW back in the day (back when "total war" came after the specific time period in the title!) Having magic in the game opens up so many possibilities, and the development crew can actually get a little creative instead of just implementing historically accurate units, and factions can end up being more balanced without worrying about being true to real history. Graphically I won't be able to max it out anyways so I'm just hoping it scales down well.

It's about value to me.
Is a re-skinned, re-tuned Warhammer themed Rome II worth $80?

No, not really. It's the exact same layout, and really falls into the "total conversion mod" category. You know the balancing and gameplay mechanics are essentially going to be the same. Performance will be the same, turn times will be the same, city management will be the same. I've already done this, 2 times .

Not to mention all the already known issues with any game coming out; not polished, not finished, to short, to expensive, to much dlc, etc etc...

I really have to say I'm turning sour toward gaming at the moment. The industry just keeps rehashing and reselling the same product, and it seems more and more like people with gaming addictions are being taken advantage of more than the average consumer.

It's about value to me.

No, not really. It's the exact same layout, and really falls into the "total conversion mod" category. You know the balancing and gameplay mechanics are essentially going to be the same. Performance will be the same, turn times will be the same, city management will be the same. I've already done this, 2 times .

Not to mention all the already known issues with any game coming out; not polished, not finished, to short, to expensive, to much dlc, etc etc...

I really have to say I'm turning sour toward gaming at the moment. The industry just keeps rehashing and reselling the same product, and it seems more and more like people with gaming addictions are being taken advantage of more than the average consumer.

elsmoko

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

You're kidding right? No? Well at least your post was good for a laugh then. If you think this is a "reskin of rome 2" then please. Don't buy this game. I don't want any Debbie Downers like you who feel slighted somehow fucking up an INCREDIBLE game. This will be best in the franchise BY FAR, and I don't want you anywhere near it. Go play heroes of the storm or something.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I am a little disappointed in these screen shots. It looks like Attila, it's another reskin of Rome II.
I take it you've never played Warhammer or WH:40k. Total War and Warhammer does have similarities which is why I think this is going to be really good. But they are still very different. I hope they manage to maintain the feel and playstyle of each race.

Dirk_Funk

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

It's about value to me.

I mean every Total War game is pretty much a reskin of the same game. I don't really have a problem with it since it IS a series. There's no underhanded trickery to try and convince people this isn't going to be another turn-based strategy + real-time tactics game. The fans of the series like that style (I've yet to find anything that fits the same niche). If they changed it too much it wouldn't be Total War. Not sure what you are expecting but I've been expecting pretty much a professionally done "total conversion". This is the first time CA have ever done a fantasy setting in Total War so if you weren't completely put off by all the "reskins" of the past then I don't see how this new direction can ever please you. Perhaps you should stop worrying and learn to love your games (aka just buy/play the games you find fun and stop worrying if its another case of the evil gaming industry taking advantage of you)

captainshifty

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Its been on the same engine since Empire Total War 2009. I said the same thing on PC Gamer and got chewed up a little for not liking the art direction. I mean graphics arent the end all be all but it'd be nice if they gave things an overhaul next generation maybe?

It's about value to me.

I mean every Total War game is pretty much a reskin of the same game. I don't really have a problem with it since it IS a series. There's no underhanded trickery to try and convince people this isn't going to be another turn-based strategy + real-time tactics game. The fans of the series like that style (I've yet to find anything that fits the same niche). If they changed it too much it wouldn't be Total War. Not sure what you are expecting but I've been expecting pretty much a professionally done "total conversion". This is the first time CA have ever done a fantasy setting in Total War so if you weren't completely put off by all the "reskins" of the past then I don't see how this new direction can ever please you. Perhaps you should stop worrying and learn to love your games (aka just buy/play the games you find fun and stop worrying if its another case of the evil gaming industry taking advantage of you)

Compare Civ V to Civ IV.
Both are Civ games, but they play very differently. It's not just a reskin, it's a new game.

I don't feel Total War takes that directly. They generally just reskin the previous game, modified the units slightly for balance and appearance, tune the city management a bit and call it a new game.

TBH, I don't feel most games take the right direction anymore. Consumers are really getting hurt by these poorly released, poorly developed, overpriced titles.

Then they release it unpolished and half finished and expect to patch it later.

Just because everyone is going to go out and pay $80 (Including DLC) for a full game, then spend more time on forums defending it than they actually will spend playing it (because the next big title is coming out next week), doesn't mean it's a good thing.

I'm just drawing the line for myself. Reskin using familiar imagery? No, I'm not just going to buy a full priced game because they cater to my interests. Not this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.