Hands-on with the Z10 Running BlackBerry 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjoedisorderx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
hahaha the comment of looks like an iphone cracks me up. i know the poster is making a joke but the downfall of that is that most people think all touchscreen phones look like an iphone. its a sad state of affairs and down right annoying at times. however to the other poster who says whats the point? the point is security and flow. things android doesn't have to the average user. so i will gladly support blackberry and my choice to stay with them.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I'm still going to wonder why a no-buttons UI phone has that much wasted space. Z10 is bigger than the 920 ( which is quite big ), but has a smaller screen ( a bit thinner though ).

xjoedisorderx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
thank you zulutech, heh. and bloob if you never used a playbook then you wouldn't know why, but the gestures start from the bezel (to eliminate erroneous swipes), that's why it has the frame around it. further more almost all the BBs i've owned had it so it gives it that BB feel too.

tobyevers

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I have an overwhelming feeling of "Meh" about this. Too little, too late, and nothing groundbreaking or exciting to drag people back who made the change from BB to Apple or Android. It may help retain some some people who were sitting on the fence, but that's about it

xpeh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I think that this will be a lot more successful than Windows Mobile. I used Windows Mobile, and no offense, but it might have given me cancer

G

They are not fully trying for the consumer market like android and apple. They are hoping that this will be an attractive phone for companies to give their workers to use. They then hope that people see it does everything other phones do and don't bother having 1 phone for work and 1 for general use. Weather this works is debatable but it is definitely good strategy. I agree though the Q10 needs to launch with the Z10. They also have it reasonably priced with decent plans. I don't think they could do much more given the dysfunction that was going on at rim the last few years.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Sorry for the pessimism...
I'm wondering what will keep the BB relevant:

As far as I can tell, every feature the company formerly known as RIM put into BB has been not only copied, but improved upon by Droid. The BES and level 1 alerts can be done via txt msg and activesync. Android does not charge for client access licenses to plug into an exchange server like RIM does with BES.

They need their killer app. And I don't think this new phone is it. Most companies (the primary user of BB) have already budgeted and spent for their hardware/software roll out for the next fiscal. RIM was too late bring a product to the table to remain relevant. Basically, they are expecting government and corporations to "take a second" look. I'm not sure this will be enough.

Personally, have a BB Bold (connected to a BES) and a Droid phone. With a copy of Touchdown (ActiveSync), the droid will do everything, business related, that the BB Bold does. Using ActiveSync... No client access fee for BES required.
I would be surprised if they "make it".

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Our company has allowed Apple phones for about 2 years. In November they added Android as a choice. There are only a few people still holding on to BB. They are waiting for the Z10. From a guy who remembers his first blackberry with a wheel on the side, I won't be going back from my Note2.

Hopefully they have improved the voice recognition from my last curve. That was so brutal it was unusable.
Google's voice recognition is almost perfect.

I hope Rim makes it. I can see the Z10 bringing some people back. They need a 5 inch phone pretty quick or they will be left behind like Apple. I used a iphone 4s yesterday and it was painful. Why can't Apple get a menu button already? It was like I was transported back to Android 2.1.

MaxTesla

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]^ For folks like you there really is not that much of a point. I wonder if this is enough to save RIM...errr Blackberry.[/citation]

From my understanding BB phones are the most virus resistant

And this new BB10 phone apparently has a totally new operating system

So why get a BB10, because there is a smaller chance of getting a virus

Those whose primary focus is security will get a BB10

magic_28

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I am wondering how the following will affect me purchasing a BB:-

You need a blackberry ID before you can use their device. However, you have to agree to the EULA with the following before you can get the blackberry ID:

"4. Your Submission Of Content.

......With respect to any of Your Content that you make available for inclusion on publicly accessible web sites or other publicly accessible aspects of the BlackBerry ID Accessible Services, You grant RIM a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable, royalty-free and non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform, and publicly display Your Content as is reasonable in connection with the provision and management of any BlackBerry ID Accessible Services."

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]xpeh[/nom]I think that this will be a lot more successful than Windows Mobile. I used Windows Mobile, and no offense, but it might have given me cancer[/citation]
Don't you mean Windows Phone?
Windows Mobile is something comletely different.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hmm.. I always get nervous when I hear about basic stuff not working properly (switching between cameras). Even my Razr Maxx gets a little weird sometimes. So irritating. That's an expensive damn phone! It should work without a hitch!

Status
Not open for further replies.