Hands on With the ZyXEL Wireless Extender N300

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterng25

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I didn't have time to wade through this (excellent) article, as I am at work; quick question, does this mean I can plug my linux box into this, and it will treat it a wired connection?
Thanks!

metylek

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Bought it last month. But still can not finilize setup as a Client mode by Setup Wizard (small icon in Setup mode) using WPS buttons on both equipment (Repeater WRE2205 & Main Router). Seems like WRE2205 can not see my WPS router button pushing. Any hint in such a drama ? :)

bmdesign

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Been using this on a trip now. Not bad. With a few tricks it seems to be doing the work nicely.

1. In setup, forget about the wizard. At least for us, giving SSID manually was the thing that worked. (Never mind pushing the WPS button - I don't have faith for such!)

2. When waking my Macbook Air from sleep, the WLAN often worked but I didn't reach Internet. This was strange, and restarting the device at times seemed to cure it. My latest try: when on WRE2205 network, I use a fixed IP (instead of the DHCP given one). Too early to say but may be the real cure. :)

3. Give the extended network another name than the original. Ours is having "-ext" postfix. This helps control which way one's computer really is connected (my wife's advice - nice to be married to such clever person!)

Finishing in nice and the ability to use it for cable extension is awesome. Once you get it set up, it seems to be a good work horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.