Hands On With Windows 10 Technical Preview 9860

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Coberly

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Oh, so it's Windows 8 with a new theme and layout? Yeah, no thanks. Windows 7 may very well be the new XP; but I couldn't care less.
Microsoft will not be extracting any more money from me until I see something I actually like and will want to use.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
The File Explorer ( Windows Explorer) is now a bloated piece of crap, i have to search trough rows of drop-down menus to get to a drive that i want to access ... in don`t want favourites all over the screen .. i just want a simple window to access my storage devices ...

Kapitalyst

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
The best thing I noticed about this update is that now you can run metro apps on smaller screen resolutions! I'm using a netbook with screen size of 1024 x 600 px, and Metro apps are running natively now, without any hacks!

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Have they fixed safe mode yet? Older versions of Windows you could tap F8 on any PC or laptop and go into safe mode on bootup. Windows 8? Hell no, you have to change a setting inside the OS first. Like that helps if your profile won't load.

Have they given an option to bypass automatic repair of secondary drives yet? Windows 8 forced an automatic repair of my XP HDD (dual boot) and f&*$3d up the drive and all my data. (there was absolutely nothing wrong with the XP drive or the XP installation btw) This isn't an isolated incident. I had Win8 do this to other drives and OSses as well, completely wrecking them, requiring a reformat and data recovery tools.

Have they fixed backwards compatibility with XP software yet? Windows 8 won't run everything that XP can and this is pathetic. No, a VM isn't always the answer. Some software refuses to run in a VM. It needs to be native.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
@Pherule Windows 8 has an automatic Safe Mode if your OS fails to load properly few times, had to use this only once when i was messing with custom resolutions and refresh rates for OC my monitor. If you need to do this on daily basis you`re using your PC wrong!

XP dual boot.. no clue what you are using/ doing ..

Backward compatiblity with XP .. are you out of your mind ? Is like complaining Windows 10 won`t have backword compatibility with MSDOS/Win 3.11 ... If your software is for XP use only .. then stay on XP only machine ...

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Ye gods, a 'basic' notification is a facebook post?? Hasn't it occured to anyone
at MS that not everyone is remotely a part, or wants to be a part, of this social
media madhouse? My desktop is not and never will be pseudo-phone thankyou
very much. So, Win10 will be yet another Windows for which one will have to
turn off a whole load of annoying junk stuff by default, it'll just be different junk
this time.

Ian.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

Seeing how it's difficult to do a malware check with Malwarebytes - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248626-45-simple-free-guide-removing-malware

You got to do extra steps to do a proper scan, MS does need to put back safe mode for those who need to get into it.

sbartsch

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
For some strange reason, this update let those ugly text shadows come back underneath desktop icons. I've already tried checking off and on the setting located in Visual Effects but this does nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.