Hang on post

Status
Not open for further replies.

amadeok

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Hello,
I have a laptop that hangs on post for different amounts of time, sometimes seconds sometimes minutes. I already sent it for repair. Can you tell me whether this can be caused by something other than defective hardware ?
Thanks

Solution
EDIT: No system will boot without RAM installed. Just an FYI

Other than the above. It's bad hardware. Question is, where?

Honestly, the problem could be a lot of things ranging from the AC adapter, a surface mount component on the MB, to a microscopic crack in one of the ball grid array connectors that mates a CPU/CPU to the surface of the motherboard itself. Sometimes you can reflow it (handled by the manufacture or via professional services) with heat to correct the problem. But at the end of the day, yeah, a HW problem :(

stdragon

Admirable
At POST, does it just hang at a black screen, or does it hang on the first attempt to load Windows? If it's the former, yeah, it's most likely hardware; either from an internal device, or it's hanging on enumerating externally connected USB devices (say, while on a docking station or port replicator, or stand alone).

In most cases, intermittently hanging at POST usually means the internal HDD or SSD is failing.

amadeok

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013

The first one. Hangs even before arriving to the bios. I tried removing hhd ssd ram wireless card but didn't solve it

stdragon

Admirable
EDIT: No system will boot without RAM installed. Just an FYI

Other than the above. It's bad hardware. Question is, where?

Honestly, the problem could be a lot of things ranging from the AC adapter, a surface mount component on the MB, to a microscopic crack in one of the ball grid array connectors that mates a CPU/CPU to the surface of the motherboard itself. Sometimes you can reflow it (handled by the manufacture or via professional services) with heat to correct the problem. But at the end of the day, yeah, a HW problem :(

Solution

amadeok

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013

I see thanks. And that sort of microscopic crack could be caused by somehow applying some force unto the heatpipes that are directly above the cpu or gpu? Would that be very hard to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.