Hard crashes caused by steam games

eselar

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Hi community,

Today, i have discovered that only certain games in my steam library causes crashes. However, when i google this problem, the only threads i see describe simple game crashes that merely take you back to the desktop. This does not compare to my crashes, which end up being a hard computer freeze, only curable by a click of the reset button on my tower :(

Note that i play Diablo 3, Battlefield 3, and SWTOR perfectly normal and as far as steam games go i can play the original Counter Strike, Skyrim, and a few other i believe.

The only 2 games so far that i have had this same problem with is LOTR War in the North and recently i got the CS/GO beta and that crashes as well.

Another characteristic of these crashes is that they occur on startup, As soon as the first image of the startup shows on my screen, I am given that circular ring as a cursor, then a second later it stops revolving and my entire pc is frozen and unresponsive. I tried running steam as an administrator, the only difference was that i had control of the mouse a few moments longer before it froze again, but this time it was an actual cursor.

Any advice is appreciated

If you need more info ask me, but i run avast antivirus as well as windows 7 64bit

UPDATE: I flashed the bios from f9 to f12

now when i open CS GO the game itself crashes and i am brought back to the desktop, instead of hard crashing my system.

Im open to new ideas, ill keep looking through other forums in the meantime

Alein

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
I cant see it being just Steam. As I have Steam running with over 100 games and no problems except the games that have issues with Windows 7x64 and those I have even found work a rounds for. I would say its a driver problem, video is alot of the times is the culprit.

Cromat88

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
It might be a steam overlay issue try running steam in administrator mode or try this.

Please exit Steam and go to the folder called C:\Program Files\Steam\ (this is the default location for a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it).

Delete all of the contents of this folder except:

The Steamapps folder and Steam.exe (If 'exe' is not visible, look for the black and white Steam icon)

Restart your computer.

Then, you will need to launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder, and not from a pre-existing shortcut.

With Steam running, re-test the original issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

eselar

Honorable
May 27, 2012

its worth a shot, however it doesnt seem to be a very popular problem as far as i can tell.

if anyone has an idea atleast, id be willing to try

eselar

Honorable
May 27, 2012
steam is aware of crashing that occurs with fx cpus like mine and they recommend a bios update

thanks for all the input, now if i can find out how to flash my bios!

TRENDING THREADS