Hard disc isn't showing

Universe

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
2nd hard disc isn't showing, including in the BIOS list. Recently it was working. Another Hard disc works okay with all the cables.

Disc scan didn't work.

*The 2nd hard disc gets activated though, after cable connection.

The 2nd hard disc is failing?

Hi a few questions first.

How old is the hard drive that is not showing?
Does the hard drive connect to the motherboard via a Sata connection, or does it use the old IDE type data cable.

Has the drive had any problems before it failed to show up in the bios or windows?
Any problems with accessing the drive or it`s contents, or reading, writing to the drive producing errors ?

Error messages like cylindrical redundancy error ?

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Most likely the controller has died. If this is a ssd and it just happened w/o warning than that is very likely the case. A platter would've given some warnings/errors(but not always). If this is an external, try swapping cables. Also check disk management to see if it is showing there. Also if its an external try different ports. There are a number of free programs for disk recovery with varying success. If you are able to get the data back I suggest copying it all to another drive and replacing the drive. Even failing drives/platters will show activity after being plugged in as their internal bootstrap functions power up, but if the controller has failed it'll prevent access.

Universe

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
@Shaun o
5 years
SATA
No problem in the BIOS or windows before. It was alright couple of days ago. And no warning before. Had no issue accessing the drive whatsoever.
There isn't error message.

@ledhead11
Hard disc is internal; using as external SATA. Swapped the cables. Doesn't work.
It isn't showing in the disc management.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
At this point I'd recommend trying the drive in another computer. If you have the same problem then the drive is probably toast. If it works then backup everything asap. If it works, then either the port or something on the MOBO has given out. As far as replacing the controller. It's an almost mythical thing. I've heard some people have done it but also heard that some drives a lot harder to work on than others. You'd really have to do some more research, I recommend going to forums for manufacturer for that. At five years, its likely the drive has run its course. I've had some make it 10, but most usually go in the 5-8 mark.

Universe

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014

Okay, opening controller isn't that of a risk I guess? There isn't any chance of loosing data right? [got that on youtube]
If it is alright then will do it just to check.
The port is fine since first hard disc works alright with that [and the cable also].
Yeah, probably it has voided it's productiveness.