[SOLVED] Hard Disk error

Feb 12, 2020
Hello.

For the past couple of weeks, I have been working on a friend's PC for him as I had some spare parts that were working perfectly before to him. Everything went fine for a couple of days after he got the PC but an issue appeared. A hard disk error was detected by windows, I have dealt with this issue before and ran CHKDSK. As well he was getting random blue screens and the error was unexpected store exception and rare cases of memory management. CHKDSK fixed it for a day or 2 but then the issue kept popping up. At this time I was getting into an area where I was unfamiliar with. Eventually, this was a constant thing that was happening even after the CHKDSK did its thing. I told him to use his warranty to get a new hard drive and I thought it was it.

A couple of days later I get this new hard drive and install it into his pc and put windows 10 on it. Again a couple of days went past with no issues but then the dreaded hard disk error showed up. Now he was back at getting blue screens and that constant error. But something different happened this time after a couple of days of this. The computer started to run extremely slow and an interesting sound appeared that no video I watched had. Until one day it couldn't boot to windows anymore and was in a constant boot loop. I have tried to wipe the hard drive of all of its contents and tried almost every fix I looked up. Now I am writing this after updating the BIOS, tried even more fixes that just don't work.

My biggest question is, is he getting really unlucky or could it be a software that is causing the issue? Other components that are affecting the hard drive? I have no clue and have to say im lost.

His specs are listed here:

I5-6400 (Stock speeds)
EVGA 650w bronze
H110M Pro-D
Msi GTX 1050Ti
2x4G 2400MHZ Corsair Vengence
Both hard drives are 1TB barracuda drives

1# EDIT: Forgot to add that when trying to start windows it gives a bad system config error and is stuck in a constant automatic repair that always fails.

Last edited:
Both hard drives are 1TB barracuda drives
So are you saying as of right now there are 2 hard drive in the system or are you saying the the original drive and the replacement drive.

If you have 2 Drives installed unplug the extra drive and start fresh with a clean install of windows with only "C" Drive hooked up

Unplug anything extra like USB speakers/ mike

make sure your Hard drive connectors are tight

If your fresh install goes okay do your motherboard drivers than windows updates, lastly than go get your Graphics Card drivers.

When your doing your windows updates make sure you don't have a USB drive connected as some older motherboards get stupid and your windows get corrupted during computer restarting during updates.

Feb 12, 2020
So are you saying as of right now there are 2 hard drive in the system or are you saying the the original drive and the replacement drive.

If you have 2 Drives installed unplug the extra drive and start fresh with a clean install of windows with only "C" Drive hooked up

Unplug anything extra like USB speakers/ mike

make sure your Hard drive connectors are tight

If your fresh install goes okay do your motherboard drivers than windows updates, lastly than go get your Graphics Card drivers.

When your doing your windows updates make sure you don't have a USB drive connected as some older motherboards get stupid and your windows get corrupted during computer restarting during updates.

Currently, only 1 hard drive hooked up, my friend sent back the first one and now it's on the replacement one.
Windows cannot wipe the hard drive as it errors out each time I try too (in the troubleshoot option).
Nothing else is hooked up except a keyboard and a wifi adapter.

Feb 12, 2020
It could be motherboard error like chipset error
little advice, change sata port, replace sata cable
also buy new SSD for your system especially if you're using windows 10
Been tested and to no avail. The only reason why I thought it was a motherboard issue is that it happened to 2 different hard drives but 1 was worse than the other. About the SSD, he uses a lot of space and really just trying to get him into computers overall so a hard drive was good for him. A clean install of windows is not bad for a hard drive anyways (for speed imo).

One of the Moderator's has an awesome post how to install windows 10. Maybe he will see this and give you the page.

Instead of reinventing the wheel his post is great and I have a feeling where your getting stuck his post will light the way.

Feb 12, 2020
This is a long shot, could the power supply be under-supplying those hard-drives?
Maybe? I was more or less thinking its the motherboard. But possibly be the power supply. This issue is strange and it's hard to really tell what the issue is.

Obtain a SMART report with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo. Look for reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors.
I have no way to try and run the SMART test, I was going to run it but it died too quick before I could do anything.

Feb 12, 2020
So I did some testing, change the SATA cable and reseated everything in the computer. Nothing changed and I have no real way to test anything. Basically its either a bad hard drive (again). Motherboard and a very slight maybe on the PSU. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.