[SOLVED] Hard Disk Or SSD for TV and Backup?

Jun 17, 2021
Hello. I am new here and I want to ask a question. I want to connect a drive filled with movies, to my TV. The drive will operate every day, 16 hours a day. From the factory they told me that the TV can read drives up to 2 TB. And because my movies collection is the same capacity, this means I need a drive to fill it (in one time) up to the last mb. I don't want two drives, because I want all my videos to be inside one drive. And also I need a second drive that after I fill it (in one time), then I will put it inside its box, cover it with multiple layers of insulating tape, to protect it from heat, moisture, etc. and leave it there until the other doesn't work anymore and replace it with the back up. So my question is this: Which one of the following four drives do you recommend for TV and which for backup? 1.) SSD CRUCIAL CT2000MX500SSD1 MX500 2TB 2.) HDD WESTERN DIGITAL WD2005FBYZ GOLD DATACENTER 2TB 3.) HDD WESTERN DIGITAL WD20EZAZ BLUE 2TB 4.) HDD WESTERN DIGITAL WD20EZRZ 2TB BLUE. Do you have any other recommendations? Thank you in advance for any answers.

Solution
Thank you for your answer. To clarify it, what I mean is which drive will be safer (better data integrity, less errors/ bad sectors etc.) for TV and which for backup. I heard that some drives should be on every now and then for better data integrity. Does this apply to both HDDs and SSDs? Is it a myth? And if you were to choose for this purpose, would you choose a disk from above, another disk or even a high capacity flash memory?
First, for data integrity, the rule of three applies. Three independent copies, with one of them in a different physical location. Backups should protect against more than disk failure. They should protect against fire, theft, flood, etc. That is why the off-site copy is important.
Jun 17, 2021
Thank you for your answer. To clarify it, what I mean is which drive will be safer (better data integrity, less errors/ bad sectors etc.) for TV and which for backup. I heard that some drives should be on every now and then for better data integrity. Does this apply to both HDDs and SSDs? Is it a myth? And if you were to choose for this purpose, would you choose a disk from above, another disk or even a high capacity flash memory?

USAFRet

Titan
A WD Blue HDD is just fine.

"safer" is what the backup is for.
ANY storage device can fail. HDD, SSD, flash drive, whatever.

This is why data should never live on only one device.

kanewolf

Titan
First, for data integrity, the rule of three applies. Three independent copies, with one of them in a different physical location. Backups should protect against more than disk failure. They should protect against fire, theft, flood, etc. That is why the off-site copy is important.

Solution

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
You should go with an HDD, There is no benefit with using an SSD, like you said on number 1. There is also no need to pay extra to get a WD GOLD DATACENTER, like you said on number 2. I would recommend number 3 and 4. Number 3 and 4 are about the same, but go with WESTERN DIGITAL WD20EZAZ BLUE 2TB.
Make sure to back up your data, though.

Jun 17, 2021
Again thank you. Because I'm newbie at this subject I am sorry in advance for any inconvenience and in order to perfectly understand this I will post another two (hopefully last) questions. I understand that a WD Blue is fine for my needs and every storage device can fail. But what I want to understand (and I should have said that from the begining) is this: 1.) If price for two disks is not a big problem, are SSD or WD Gold better or even the best (again not perfect) for TV and backup from others in terms of time endurance or not? I am asking this because a few months back I saw a chart where HDD lifespan is 5-10 years, SSD 30-50 years and Flash Memory 70 years, as a backup. 2.) Also I read that some disks like WD Purple are good for writing, not for reading, so they are not good for TV. Does this apply to WD Gold, too?

USAFRet

Titan
A single instance of a storage device, no matter what type, cannot be quantified as to "lifespan" like that.

I saw a chart where HDD lifespan is 5-10 years, SSD 30-50 years and Flash Memory 70 years, as a backup
Contrast that to an SSD I had die at 3 years+33 days, and an HDD I had die at 5 weeks.

Both drives replaced under warranty, but if it were not for my backups, the data would have been gone.

Additionally, I have a couple of HDD's that are 20+ yrs old, and still work fine.

USAFRet

Titan
Did you used them for cold backup as I want to do, every now and then or everyday use?
That SSD and HDD that died were every day use items.

An SSD that sits unused may lose data over time.
An HDD that sits unused may have the bearings seize over time.

Multiple copies of your data ensures that not ALL of them will die at the same time.

In your instance:
Have one drive to use, and one drive that is sitting on the shelf for years, untouched.

Your primary drive dies, get the backup off the shelf.
"Oh no....that one is dead as well, it may have seized up last year...:("

Anything 'backup' needs to be tested and verified once in a while.
And updated with new data.

Currently, your movie collection is ~2TB.
I'm pretty sure that you will change the contents of that library once in a while.

Reactions: 847

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
Again thank you. Because I'm newbie at this subject I am sorry in advance for any inconvenience and in order to perfectly understand this I will post another two (hopefully last) questions. I understand that a WD Blue is fine for my needs and every storage device can fail. But what I want to understand (and I should have said that from the begining) is this: 1.) If price for two disks is not a big problem, are SSD or WD Gold better or even the best (again not perfect) for TV and backup from others in terms of time endurance or not? I am asking this because a few months back I saw a chart where HDD lifespan is 5-10 years, SSD 30-50 years and Flash Memory 70 years, as a backup. 2.) Also I read that some disks like WD Purple are good for writing, not for reading, so they are not good for TV. Does this apply to WD Gold, too?
WD Gold is for enterprise use. It is designed for intense reading and writing. SSDs are the best, but I think WD BLUE is good enough and it's not worth it to pay so much money for SSD or WD Gold.
I don't think the chart is right though, because all HDDs, SSDs, and flash memory have different lifespans.

Jun 17, 2021
So to sum it up and close this thread, from my understanding since all storage devices can fail, if money is an issue then WD Blue (preferably WD20EZAZ model) is my option for TV and 2 to 3 different backups in HDD. If money is not an issue and want the best I can get (in theory always), then for TV and Backup from the best to worst options I have: 1.) SSD CRUCIAL CT2000MX500SSD1 MX500 2TB 2.) HDD WESTERN DIGITAL WD2005FBYZ GOLD DATACENTER 2TB 3.) Flash Memory Card 4.) HDD WESTERN DIGITAL WD20EZAZ BLUE 2TB . Did I understand it correctly? Also the WESTERN DIGITAL WDBAZC0020BBK-WESN, is it any good? And if yes what position would you put it, 3rd, 4rth?

Jun 17, 2021
For flash memory, since it would be for backup and not for TV, I would go for 4 pieces of 512GB each. But the most important thing for me in case of quality do you think I rate them right? And to make myself clear if someone didn't want to spend money would he/she choose my first solution (WD20EZAZ ) and in case he/she wanted to spend money would he/she choose my second solution? Or he/she would prefer another product/s either it was the first or the second case? If so which will be? And what about WESTERN DIGITAL WDBAZC0020BBK-WESN? I hope this clarifies everything and hopefully my other comment will be to close this thread.

Hello. I am new here and I want to ask a question. I want to connect a drive filled with movies, to my TV. The drive will operate every day, 16 hours a day. From the factory they told me that the TV can read drives up to 2 TB. And because my movies collection is the same capacity, this means I need a drive to fill it (in one time) up to the last mb. I don't want two drives, because I want all my videos to be inside one drive. And also I need a second drive that after I fill it (in one time), then I will put it inside its box, cover it with multiple layers of insulating tape, to protect it from heat, moisture, etc. and leave it there until the other doesn't work anymore and replace it with the back up. So my question is this: Which one of the following four drives do you recommend for TV and which for backup? 1.) SSD CRUCIAL CT2000MX500SSD1 MX500 2TB 2.) HDD WESTERN DIGITAL WD2005FBYZ GOLD DATACENTER 2TB 3.) HDD WESTERN DIGITAL WD20EZAZ BLUE 2TB 4.) HDD WESTERN DIGITAL WD20EZRZ 2TB BLUE. Do you have any other recommendations? Thank you in advance for any answers.
If you 2TB of data it won't fit on a 2TB disk.

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
Note: if you see a cheap 512GB, 1TB or 2TB Memory Card or USB Drive, they are fake! A fake USB or memory card is just a low capacity USB or memory card, but is programmed to show a higher capacity. For example, the USB or memory card might only have 32GB, though the USB or memory card is programmed to have 2TB of space. They are mostly from China. Don't buy it. A real 512GB, 1TB and 2TB USB or memory card would cost a couple of hundred dollars.

Last edited:

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
So to sum it up and close this thread, from my understanding since all storage devices can fail, if money is an issue then WD Blue (preferably WD20EZAZ model) is my option for TV and 2 to 3 different backups in HDD. If money is not an issue and want the best I can get (in theory always), then for TV and Backup from the best to worst options I have: 1.) SSD CRUCIAL CT2000MX500SSD1 MX500 2TB 2.) HDD WESTERN DIGITAL WD2005FBYZ GOLD DATACENTER 2TB 3.) Flash Memory Card 4.) HDD WESTERN DIGITAL WD20EZAZ BLUE 2TB . Did I understand it correctly? Also the WESTERN DIGITAL WDBAZC0020BBK-WESN, is it any good? And if yes what position would you put it, 3rd, 4rth?
  1. SSD CRUCIAL CT2000MX500SSD1 MX500 2TB-best, but too expensive for what you need for
  2. HDD WESTERN DIGITAL WD2005FBYZ GOLD DATACENTER 2TB-also the best, but too expensive for what you need for
  3. WESTERN DIGITAL WDBAZC0020BBK-WESN-Best
  4. HDD WESTERN DIGITAL WD20EZAZ BLUE 2TB-also the Best

USAFRet

Titan
For flash memory, since it would be for backup and not for TV, I would go for 4 pieces of 512GB each. But the most important thing for me in case of quality do you think I rate them right? And to make myself clear if someone didn't want to spend money would he/she choose my first solution (WD20EZAZ ) and in case he/she wanted to spend money would he/she choose my second solution? Or he/she would prefer another product/s either it was the first or the second case? If so which will be? And what about WESTERN DIGITAL WDBAZC0020BBK-WESN? I hope this clarifies everything and hopefully my other comment will be to close this thread.
Flash drives are the complete wrong thing for "backups".

2TB spinning HDD's is all you need for this.

Jun 17, 2021
Thank you all very much for your time and answers. They're greatly appreciated. After reading your opinions and an article at Western Digital's site I will buy a WD blue for TV and maybe later a WD Gold for backup.