Hard dissk keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

mrnikk

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
i have just replaced my old laptop with a new one , and i took out its hard disk , connected it to the new laptop to copy my documents and files through a USB enclosure , it was working fine and i could access all the folders normally . then suddenly it disconnected and started reconnecting and disconnecting in an endless loop . and i cant access it .and it doesn't show up in the explorer or disk management . only shows up in the device manager for 10 seconds before it disconnect and reconnect again

i.e i had to take owner ship of the documents folder so i can access it , i don't know if that might have caused the problem but it worked fine for a little after i did that
also i have tried on other computers and the same problem happens
i have tried
-reinstalling the drivers
-disabling the usb selective suspend setting
-connecting the hard disk directly into a desktop through sata
-using testdisk -it cant detect the hard disk-
but nothing works
please help thanks

Solution
Hey there, mrnikk.

Taking ownership of the drive had nothing to do with the issue. My first guess would've been the external enclosure, but since it does the same thing when connected via a SATA connection, I guess the drive itself might have been damaged. Unfortunately if the drive can't stay powered on for more than several seconds, there's not much you can do. You could give a try again with a different computer by connecting it directly to the mobo via a standard SATA connection, but if it fails again, a data recovery company might be your only option. :(

Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, mrnikk.

Taking ownership of the drive had nothing to do with the issue. My first guess would've been the external enclosure, but since it does the same thing when connected via a SATA connection, I guess the drive itself might have been damaged. Unfortunately if the drive can't stay powered on for more than several seconds, there's not much you can do. You could give a try again with a different computer by connecting it directly to the mobo via a standard SATA connection, but if it fails again, a data recovery company might be your only option. :(

Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution