Hard Drive beeping noise .

RagingRabbits

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
My hard drive started beeping in my home media PC and the PC wouldn't boot . I removed the hard drive and put it in my main PC and it was successfully detected by my main PC . What could be the problem? I am sure the problem is coming from my media PC but how do I identify the problem ?

Solution
Then definitely try a different SATA-power cable, and preferably a different computer. It could be a PSU issue as well. Does the drive even spin-up when you start the computer?

Follow the suggestions from my previous post and let us know how it goes.
Hey there, RagingRabbits.

@bgunner is right, the beeps are most probably coming from the speaker connected to the mobo. As for identifying the issue, first you should backup your important data, just to be on the safe side. After that, go ahead and download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run the tests, to see what's the situation with the HDD. Please let me know how it goes.
If everything seems fine, you can try it out with a different SATA port and different SATA cables (both data and power).

If there's no problem with the HDD, answering @bgunner's questions about the beeps could prove useful. Other than that you could run a system stress test to see how your other components perform.

Hope that helps. Please keep us updated.
Boogieman_WD

Then definitely try a different SATA-power cable, and preferably a different computer. It could be a PSU issue as well. Does the drive even spin-up when you start the computer?

Follow the suggestions from my previous post and let us know how it goes.

Solution
Does it beep in your other PC as well or just in your not booting one?

Eventually the power supply can´t provide enough power to the drvie while spinning up. Had something similar on my external drive.

Try another sata port on the motherboar, another sata connector from your power supply and another sata data cable.

How does it beep exactly? like a morse code? long and short beeps? a pattern?

Again what are the beep codes it is doing? Please include the HDD make and model.
Again please list the full system specs.
Hard drives don't beep. the case speaker is probably right next to the HDD and is making it sound like it is beeping.

RagingRabbits

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
I tried another sata port abd power cable as well on the same motherboard it didin't work but it worked on another pc so I guess it might be a power supply problem .The system is quite old but the hard drive is a seagate 500gb momentus 5400

It is possible, but since you have access to the drive, I'd recommend that you proceed with your backup if you haven't done so already. After that go ahead and download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run the tests just to make sure that there are no issues with the drive itself.

TRENDING THREADS