Hard Drive buzzing noise help

Imz Deodex

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
I have this WD 101EZEX 1TB HDD not even a year old and yesterday it made this sound (without the clicking noise) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5J0oeNNUBA now this is not my first time to encounter this problem. Last month I had the same sound problem but I was sure that it was caused by my fans getting stuck so I replaced them and re-wired my cables. Now the problem re-surfaced again but what's confusing is that my PC boots up normal except with this buzzing noise. So I turned my pc off, checked all fans all was spinning, powered back on then the noise is still there. I disconnected my HDD the noise was gone! I reconnected it... the noise was and is still completely gone! should I be worried? what the hell is happening? I removed my SATA cable and power cable and plugged them back in everything seems fine right now. Gonna do dskcheck pls help

Dawny

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Yes you should certainly worry. When a hard drive gives a weird and unusual noise it is a strong hit for a major failure coming in the way. I strongly advise you to take backup for all your files before the sudden catastrophe occurs.

Imz Deodex

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014
I still have warranty for this hard drive. How am I going to convince them to replace it? right now the HDD sounds quiet... I did dskchk S.M.A.R.T. and no bad sectors found. But I'm also looking at the possibility of my psu fan getting stuck because it sounded exactly like my other fans getting stuck months ago...maybe I'm looking at the wrong problem.

IT also has the same sound as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFe6Z8mVlwE I can't distinguish between the two in the first video, but I think this one is more accurate... the problem is all fans are spinning but I never checked the PSU fan since the sound seems to come from inside well duh... I removed the HDD sound problem was gone since I reconnected it maybe the PSU fan spun again.

UPDATE: The uploader of the first video I shared has responded and told me HDD's does not make those sounds... he found the problem... a freaking FAN going haywire >_<

also here is my report

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
293120 file records processed. File verification completed.
338 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 2 EA records processed. 63 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
346520 index entries processed. Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
293120 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 783 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 783 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 783 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream
26701 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
35806656 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
293104 files processed. File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
95919730 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

493459455 KB total disk space.
109257892 KB in 229192 files.
112376 KB in 26704 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
410267 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
383678920 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
123364863 total allocation units on disk.
95919730 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 79 04 00 a1 e7 03 00 ef 6d 06 00 00 00 00 00 .y.......m......
c0 0a 00 00 3f 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....?...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Hi there Imz Deodex,

I would say that this sounds like a fan related noise(hitting a wire maybe). Though, it will not hurt to back up the data stored on the drive until you sort this out.
The best way to figure out whether the HDD is making this noise, is to just get it out of the computer, put it on the top of the casing lets say(in case the SATA cable is long enough) and boot up the system.

Apart from that, have you tried something simple as just changing both SATA and power cables? You can connect the drive to another SATA port as well.

The Disk Check results show no issues. You can also test the drive with WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=FuJ2Yh

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD

Imz Deodex

Honorable
Oct 15, 2014

thanks for the reply. I did take the hard drive out and booted it up... seems fine to me no noise at all. Cleaned my pc.. did an 11 hour gaming marathon... no noise. One more thing to note is that this "noise" happens only during boot up [I think this is caused by the fans running for quite some time then shi**ing themselves after even though they are spinning bearings might be crappy already]. Also thanks for the link I'll check it out now