hard drive contollers

unkn2232324

Hi,

I have a friends fairly old compaq amada 300 to look at (I think the name is
correct),
A message saying '1872 hard drive controller is not working' is appearing

Question ; Is this motherboard related, ie, needing to be replaced.
or is there another explanation.

This will save me taking apart to look at it from the start.

Many thanks

Glenn

hh

The HD controller is integrated onto the motherboard, so yes, you would need
to replace the MB if the contoller goes bad. Isn't that a 1782 error, not
1872?
HH

"G" <glen@artmetal.uk.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a friends fairly old compaq amada 300 to look at (I think the name
is
> correct),
> A message saying '1872 hard drive controller is not working' is appearing
>
> Question ; Is this motherboard related, ie, needing to be replaced.
> or is there another explanation.
>
> This will save me taking apart to look at it from the start.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Glenn

Danman

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:30:53 +0100, "G" <glen@artmetal.uk.com> wrote:
> I have a friends fairly old compaq amada 300 to look at
> (I think the name is correct), A message saying
> '1872 hard drive controller is not working' is appearing
>
> Question; Is this motherboard related, ie, needing to be replaced.
> or is there another explanation.
> This will save me taking apart to look at it from the start.

I got this same message when trying to do a Quick Restore
on a Compaq Presario Model 4712. It turns out that it came
with a 2.5 GB Western Digital Hard Drive that eventually went
bad. I replaced it with a 2.1 GB Western Digital Drive.
I just had the Jumper set incorrectly. I removed the Jumper
on the single Hard Drive and then I did not get that message.

Also needed to restore, you will need to write the BOMID
to the New Hard Drive first.