hard drive dead...need help!

kambell soup

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Hi,

I have an issue with a hard drive that has been corrupted. While I was moving some data to a different drive, my wife hit cancel...many times...she may even have right clicked and them left-clicked some more...I'm not sure because I wasn't there at the time.

When I got home, the drive was frozen, and had been for some time. I turned off the computer at the power button, and then turned it back on. The drive registered, but said there was no data on it. I was told that 'the perimeter was incorrect'. I disconnected it and gave it to a friend who knows a lot more about computers than I do to see if he could recover the information on it. At first the drive registered on his computer and he ran a recovery program and it found a few bit of data, but then it stopped registering. Now the drive won't display on any computer. I have swapped cables and USB ports but is the same every time. There is a faint whirring noise when the drive is connected for 2 or 3 seconds, then nothing.

Stupidly enough, the data wasn't backed up. It would be really good if I could get it back.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions? I have downloaded some recovery programs, but since the drive doesn't show up in the registry, they don't/won't/can't help.

Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Max

DEAD HDD is quite simple. If electronics died replacement ones are easy and cheap. If its mechanical failure then its over 500$ to recover anything and no guarantees.
your sound like mechanical one, as drive was responsive and died mid-work without distinct no response.

kambell soup

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions folks.

I have a found a possible solution, it is a big possible, but, one of my private student's husband is a lecturer at the local IT uni...

fingers crossed...

Cheers