News Hard drive destroyer vibrates hard drives to death in 90 seconds — DiskMantler then spits out the individual components

I'm waiting until someone independent takes this piece for a test - on several types of harddrives to see if it lives up to expectations every time.
And what about 2.5' disks (maybe not so relevant in a server park) ?

Reactions: artk2219
Apr 1, 2020

Hard drive destroyer vibrates hard drives to death in 90 seconds​

Insert a hard drive like a VHS tape into the input slot, turn the timer for anywhere from 8 to 120 seconds (Garner estimates the process should take an average of 60 seconds, but each drive is different)

Nice agreement there...It's a decent pre-cycler, separating the parts for the next processing step automatically, but how would it stack up against a person manually disassembling a drive with current tools? How many drives would it take to start generating a profit? My guess is the "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" price will keep this from selling any units.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I actually think it's a good idea, especially for the magnets. Provided, of course, that it always works as described here--that's the rub, I think. Crushing and burning do seem a huge waste of energy. I feel sure that HDD manufacturers have their own solutions to these problems, however. You could take the platters and Frisbee them into the sea, or into separate trash bins, etc. ad infinitum. Zero-ing out formatting, pre component separation, will also clobber the data, but it takes a while, as I repaired an old platter drive once of a SMART error that way and found out...;) (I read several articles that said it wouldn't work, but it did, and years later it's still running fine, no errors.)