Hard drive detected by the OS but not by the BIOS!

ger3rd

Prominent
Nov 10, 2017
I run Linux Mint on the old MSI mobo KV8SE De Luxe. I have connected 4 ATA drives and like to add a SATA drive. The SATA is detected by the OS and working. But not by the BIOS! So I cannot boot it. I neither can boot it through GRUB2 from one of the ATA disks. Very strange! Any idea?

Solution
Yukon PXE. Damn. Yea I'm sure if i had the motherboard in front of me i would have figured it out lol but kind of hard. Glad you got it working though!

ger3rd

Prominent
Nov 10, 2017

Hi drtweak!
No wonder you couldn't find anything.
It's the ASUS K8VSE De Luxe
Sorry!
Hope you can help me!
ger3rd

unfortunatly I can't find any manuals on it. I know that board had two different SATA/ATA Chipsets on it so that would be something to do with it. I know back in the day of my first board with SATA in order to boot from them I think i had to change some settings in the BIOS. I can't remember what it was or what board it was. I also can't remember if I lost two ATA ports becuase of it or not either.

ger3rd

Prominent
Nov 10, 2017

Manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10105/Asus-Asus-K8v-Se.html
Does this help?

ger3rd

Prominent
Nov 10, 2017

No, ain't using RAID!

ger3rd

Prominent
Nov 10, 2017
Hi drtweak!
The first thing I did was of course disabling the IDE-drives.
Result: no trace of the SATA-drive.
If I start my OS (Linux Mint) the SATA-drive is listed in the Storage Information.....as an ATA-drive, just as the other 3 hdd's!
But whatever I tried, it refuses to appear in the Boot Order list.
There might be a bug in the BIOS, maybe I should update it

The reason why it shows as a ATA drive is because it is using the IDE protocal. AHCI wasn't out till at least 5-6 years after this motherboard was made so it will show as a ATA Device. SATA drives are ATA drives just It is a Serial ATA vs a Parallel ATA using the IDE protocal.

I would try updating if there are any updates.

But does it show as IDE drive 3 or 4 in the BIOS though?

ger3rd

Prominent
Nov 10, 2017
Found out that it was not necessary to flash the BIOS.
I just had to enable the Yukon PXE (Pre-Boot execution environment) in the BIOS and run it before being able to enable the SATA Bootrom in the BIOS.
Now the SATA-drive shows up in the BIOS
Thank you for suggestions, drtweak!