Hard Drive Drivers and Windows XP

thebmw37

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
I am trying to install Windows XP on a SATA hard drive in my pc and I am aware that Windows XP does not have built-in SATA drivers. Most people suggest going into the motherboard bios and switching SATA mode to IDE which Windows XP is compatable with. I did this and Windows XP still does not recognize my drive, does anyone know how to solve this?

System: i7-4790k, Asus Maximus VII, MSI GTX 980, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO (Current Boot Drive running windows 7, 64-bit), 250gb Seagate SATA HDD (This is the one I want to install XP on.

it may just be xp don't support ssd at all or gets support from the manufacture for xp .. and that also may come down to a firmware issue as well in the drive
i'll look around some ? I use platter sata hard drives on xp here and seem to work out well and no issues ??

also the ssd is required to be set at ahci and the Seagate can be set to ide so be sure the ports are set that way - most set 2 ports like sata port 1 and 2 as a pair set them for the ssd the 3 and 4 you should be able to set to ahci or sata or raid so set it to ide for the xp ??

thing is overall with all that new hardware yu got to be sure it wii accept xp some may not have any support below windows 7 ?? like that gtx 980 has no xp support at all just to start so it may not post or display anyway ??

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Newer storage devices use 4096 Bytes per sector vice the older 512 Bytes per sector standard. XP does not support (and cannot be made to support) this newer standard. If you are absolutely bound and determined to install XP then you will have to track down either an older 512 Bytes per sector drive, or one of the interim 512e drives.

just a lot of things not supported using xp today . I use it with old hardware that has xp support that I have had boxed up and just did not want it to go to waste - for todays needs and hardware it just not practical plus like shown at NVidia your 980 card is not supported anyway..

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you plan to use BOTH an SSD and a SATA HDD in your machine you will have limited choices. The SSD REALLY should be used as a AHCI device - that's the real device type for SATA HDD's, too - so you will have to set the SATA Port Mode to AHCI. On most modern mobos that choice will apply to all SATA ports, so you can't configure one port to AHCI for the SSD, and another to IDE Emulation for your HDD.

Once that's done Win XP (and its Install routines) will not recognize the SATA HDD (now an AHCI device) because it has no built-in driver for that. How to solve that depends on what your plan is. But common to both the options below is this: your mobo came with a CD containing utilities and drivers for all its devices, and that includes the driver for Win XP to use AHCI devices. If you don't have that, OR if you think you need a more recently-released updated driver, go to the website of the mobo maker and find the EXACT mobo you have. Look around the website for updated drivers for the mobo, and find the specific one for an AHCI device or a SATA HDD. Download.

CASE 1: you plan to use the SSD as your fast "drive" that you BOOT from, and the SATA HDD will just be a second data storage device that is NOT bootable.
In this case you Install Win XP on the SSD, preferably while the HDD is NOT installed in your machine. When that is working you shut down and install the HDD. Boot up and Windows MAY tell you it found a new device that needs a driver installed. If it does not, use Start ... Control Panel ... Add Hardware to add the new drive. Point that tool to where you have the AHCI driver (on the CD or downloaded somewhere) so it can install that driver. When finished, reboot. Now use Windows Disk Management to look in its LOWER RIGHT pane (the pane SCROLLS) for the SATA HDD, which will all be Unallocated Space. RIGHT-click on that space and Initialize the drive. Most settings will be correct and I assume you will want the Partition it creates to use up ALL of the drive's space. BUT you do NOT need this drive to be BOOTABLE. Initializing can take a long time so just be patient. When it's done, back out of Disk Management and reboot, and your HDD should show up in My Computer ready to use.

Case 2: You plan to BOOT from the SATA HDD and not use the SSD for that. This requires a different procedure for installing the required driver.
The process here is a general one used for many different driver types - for example, a RAID array system. The small problem is that Win XP only knows how to load the driver from a FLOPPY disk. So to do this you need (at least temporarily) a floppy drive connected to your machine. AND you need the driver copied onto a floppy diskette in that drive.
The process is done early in a Install of Win XP onto the HDD. With ONLY that one HDD installed in your machine (not the SSD) and with your BIOS set to using the SATA ports in AHCI mode, you start the Win XP Install. Very early it will ask whether you want to install additional device drivers before proceeding. If you ignore this the option will disappear after a short time. But you should tell it yes by pressing the "F6" key. The routine will then prompt you to place the floppy diskette containing the driver(s) in the floppy drive and continue. It will install that driver and ask whether there are any more. When you've installed all the extra drivers (probably only this one) you say no and it returns to the main Install routines. What this does is customize this installation of Win XP with a "built-in" driver for the AHCI device type, and so it CAN recognize and use that SATA HDD for the Install, and from now on it WILL use the SATA HDD as an AHCI device and boot from it. So, if you install the SSD later that also wants to be an AHCI device, it will all work!