Hard drive failing? I'm at my wit's end here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confused Idiot

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
I am reposting this because after 34 hours no one has replied, and this is urgent to me.

2 Days ago my Seagate barricuda 7200RPM 1TB hard drive has started sounding like a coffee maker brewing coffee, It is the hard drive for sure. And I worry it will fail, all my files are accessible and no corruption, it is just making a noise. It is not a "click," it just sounds like a coffee maker brewing coffee. I am really stressed out and I need to know what to do.

Even though on other forums people say "It's the HDD for sure" they never tell me what to do.

I don't want to lose my PC. This has been keeping me up at night. :(

FYI: I'm typing this on my other computer.

Confused Idiot

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

So I should buy a new Hard Drive? I will, but I really hate messing around with BIOS settings. Will this be like when I first turned it on and had to select boot drive and that stuff?

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

If you have to replace it, you will have to backup your data from your current drive. There are a number of ways to do this. The easiest way is probabl just by using a jump drive or external harddrive. Get all the important data off the bad drive.

Remove the bad drive, install the new one. Boot with a windows CD in and boot to the CD. It should guide you through the rest. Once you are back up and running you can grab all of the data from your usb drive and copy it back over.

Confused Idiot

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

Thanks! Luckily I have no important stuff on my hard drive. What surprises me is this hard drive is 3 months old!

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Then it may still be under manufacturer warranty and you may be able to get it replaced for no charge to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.