Question Hard drive freezes when it's at 100%

Sayan_Deep

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
Long read. Please help.

All of a sudden my secondary storage started malfunctioning. Windows is installed on an sata ssd (Crucial). I have two harddrive drive connected. One's 1TB (Toshiba) and another one's 160gb (Seagate). It's about 5-6 years old. I know it's about time. Today all of a sudden whenever I try to copy anything from or to the 1TB, if it reaches 100% usage, the transfer speed goes to zero. Anything that doesn't require that drive, works. But as long as that is at 100% the transfer doesn't work. Cancelling or pausing it causes it to freeze. Shut down or restart doesn't work. When it's at 100%, the entire storage section vanishes from the performance tab on the taskbar. Disk management doesn't open either. So anything that requires that drive doesn't work at all. other drives doesn't show up either. I removed the sata cable while it was stuck and a couple seconds later everything went back to normal. Except the drive is now detached. As long as the usage is at 99% it works fine. Small transfers doesn't cause any problem. It's the large transfers. Restarting windows causes it to stuck on the booting animation loop.
Sometimes when it's stuck at 100% and 0 transfer speed it will unstuck itself and start working after a couple seconds. But after a while it stops again. It happens only with the 1TB drive.
I've tried changing the sata port on the motherboard. Didn't do anything.
I don't have a spare sata cable now so I can't test it.
Image 1
Image 2
As you can see the speed throttles only when it reaches 100% usage.
I've tried the wmic command and it said pred fail, okay, okay. I'm assuming the pred fail is for the ssd and the rest are in order like in the image. Tried dskchk with f and r and everything was fine. During the check, the drive never went to 100% so that's probably why.
After a couple of unplugging and re-plugging now the hdd runs absolutely fine. It doesn't reach 100% even while transferring. There's absolutely no issues. But I'm confident it'll happen again.

So can it be a windows issue? Earlier the disk went to 100% when I was transferring a couple videos. Now the same video transfer doesn't reach even 60%.
But also could be the faulty drive.
Which is more likely?

Could the problem be caused by the smps?
Maybe the power connector is malfunctiong. I'm asking because if the smsps is malfunctiong then it can also create other problems, like frying my graphics card and given the current shortage situation that will be very bad. The smps isn't a cheap one. I think it's 550watts 80+ something rated. It's not old. Everything else other than the hard drives is newer. About 2years old.

Long read. Please help.

All of a sudden my secondary storage started malfunctioning. Windows is installed on an sata ssd (Crucial). I have two harddrive drive connected. One's 1TB (Toshiba) and another one's 160gb (Seagate). It's about 5-6 years old. I know it's about time. Today all of a sudden whenever I try to copy anything from or to the 1TB, if it reaches 100% usage, the transfer speed goes to zero. Anything that doesn't require that drive, works. But as long as that is at 100% the transfer doesn't work. Cancelling or pausing it causes it to freeze. Shut down or restart doesn't work. When it's at 100%, the entire storage section vanishes from the performance tab on the taskbar. Disk management doesn't open either. So anything that requires that drive doesn't work at all. other drives doesn't show up either. I removed the sata cable while it was stuck and a couple seconds later everything went back to normal. Except the drive is now detached. As long as the usage is at 99% it works fine. Small transfers doesn't cause any problem. It's the large transfers. Restarting windows causes it to stuck on the booting animation loop.
Sometimes when it's stuck at 100% and 0 transfer speed it will unstuck itself and start working after a couple seconds. But after a while it stops again. It happens only with the 1TB drive.
I've tried changing the sata port on the motherboard. Didn't do anything.
I don't have a spare sata cable now so I can't test it.
Image 1
Image 2
As you can see the speed throttles only when it reaches 100% usage.
I've tried the wmic command and it said pred fail, okay, okay. I'm assuming the pred fail is for the ssd and the rest are in order like in the image. Tried dskchk with f and r and everything was fine. During the check, the drive never went to 100% so that's probably why.
After a couple of unplugging and re-plugging now the hdd runs absolutely fine. It doesn't reach 100% even while transferring. There's absolutely no issues. But I'm confident it'll happen again.

So can it be a windows issue? Earlier the disk went to 100% when I was transferring a couple videos. Now the same video transfer doesn't reach even 60%.
But also could be the faulty drive.
Which is more likely?

Could the problem be caused by the smps?
Maybe the power connector is malfunctiong. I'm asking because if the smsps is malfunctiong then it can also create other problems, like frying my graphics card and given the current shortage situation that will be very bad. The smps isn't a cheap one. I think it's 550watts 80+ something rated. It's not old. Everything else other than the hard drives is newer. About 2years old.
Swap data and power cables between hdd's....test.
Post a screenshot from crystaldiskinfo for each hdd.

Sayan_Deep

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
Swap data and power cables between hdd's....test.
Post a screenshot from crystaldiskinfo for each hdd.
Swapping them now didn't do anything. Like I said, everything is working fine now even under load. With their original cables.
See

Crystaldiskinfo
1TB Toshiba
160GB Segate
It says bad on both. But they were working flawlessly couple days ago. The 160gb still worked absolutely fine even when the 1tb one crapped out.

Swapping them now didn't do anything. Like I said, everything is working fine now even under load. With their original cables.
See

Crystaldiskinfo
1TB Toshiba
160GB Segate
It says bad on both. But they were working flawlessly couple days ago. The 160gb still worked absolutely fine even when the 1tb one crapped out.
Maintain good backups just in case one or both of those disk decides to quit.

What does CDI show for the ssd?

Sayan_Deep

Reputable
Aug 15, 2019
Maintain good backups just in case one or both of those disk decides to quit.

What does CDI show for the ssd?
There's nothing very important on those drives. I have an external drive on which I keep everything important. Even if both of these quits, it wouldn't be problematic.
CDI shows the ssd is good. Everything is blue across the board. Nothing yellow or red. So I guess it's good? For now atleast.

Is there a chance it could be the smps? Is there any way I can check?

There's nothing very important on those drives. I have an external drive on which I keep everything important. Even if both of these quits, it wouldn't be problematic.
CDI shows the ssd is good. Everything is blue across the board. Nothing yellow or red. So I guess it's good? For now atleast.

Is there a chance it could be the smps? Is there any way I can check?
The only practical way for a user to test a psu is to swap it out.

You don't have the test bench or the tools.