Hard drive freezing computer

Serquet70

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
Pulled a hard drive out of a computer and plugged it in to another, moved some files on to it, put it back in the other computer. Was very careful while doing this, turned computer off beforehand and everything. Now when I plug the drive in (to any computer) it freezes anything that tries to access it. File explorer will show the drive and its letter, but no storage bar. It won't let disk management start up, won't let chkdsk run, it won't let diskpart start. Any idea of what's wrong and/or how to fix it?

Solution
Hey there, Serquet70.

It sounds like it might have been damaged somehow. Did you use different cables with the different computers? If not, I'd suggest that you do, in case it turns out to be a faulty SATA cable.
Do you have data which you need to recover?

For now I'd suggest that you download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and check its SMART data, as I assume that if you try to test it, it could freeze the whole system again.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, Serquet70.

It sounds like it might have been damaged somehow. Did you use different cables with the different computers? If not, I'd suggest that you do, in case it turns out to be a faulty SATA cable.
Do you have data which you need to recover?

For now I'd suggest that you download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and check its SMART data, as I assume that if you try to test it, it could freeze the whole system again.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution