Question Hard Drive freezing every process

Kurt_16

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
Hey all, i have never come across this before. but in a bind.
i have a seagate 3tb back-up external.
since yesterday i cannot access it or do anything at all.
i plug it in, windows makes the sound that its pricked it up. but go to access it and nothing resonds at all. even programs stop working properly and cuts out other processes such as internet connection.
i have tried the CMD to run a chkdsk /f but does nothing not even an error code.
tried to do the check disk through right-click, properties and the tab.
nothing works. when i unplug it aswell windows briefly has the pop-up "local disk E:" and vanishes.
i don't know what else to do.
can anyone give advice as to how i can maybe recover the data please? i got important University work on it with lecture notes, assignments, essays, research. i can't lose it.
thanks in advance. sorry if this post isn't in the proper format

popatim

Titan
Recovery should be from your backups but we know most people fail to think about the consequences of things like a harddrive breaking.

This is either a harddrive issue or an enclosure issue.
Some external drive use a sata drive with a usb interface board. These drive can be removed and installed into another enclosure or directly into a pc to determine which is the problem.
Other drives have USB integrated into the drive itself.

So which exact drive do you have? model?

Kurt_16

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
Recovery should be from your backups but we know most people fail to think about the consequences of things like a harddrive breaking.

This is either a harddrive issue or an enclosure issue.
Some external drive use a sata drive with a usb interface board. These drive can be removed and installed into another enclosure or directly into a pc to determine which is the problem.
Other drives have USB integrated into the drive itself.

So which exact drive do you have? model?
Seagate Expansion Portable Drive 3TB Model: SRD0NF1

Thing is i know its not a connectivity, plugs in fine. but just slows or stops processes as explained. well aware of harddrive breaking, always have it in a durable rugged enclosure case when not in use and when i'm going to work. and the encosure of the HDD itself has no signs of damage.