Hard Drive in Older System

Just curious, I bought my Dim 4100 back in Nov. 2000.; it's a 40 gig.
Don't know brand; I've looked at things in system info that I thought
WOULD tell me but the info wasn't there. Anyway, would the hard drives
going into Dimension 4100's back then be considered at all fast by today's
standards?? As I said, just curious.

Marilyn B.

"Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> Just curious, I bought my Dim 4100 back in Nov. 2000.; it's a 40 gig.
> Don't know brand; I've looked at things in system info that I thought
> WOULD tell me but the info wasn't there. Anyway, would the hard drives
> going into Dimension 4100's back then be considered at all fast by today's
> standards?? As I said, just curious.
>
> Marilyn B.

Should be a 7200rpm ATA100 hard drive unless you bought a value (5400rpm)
version of the drive (but I think most of those were 20gb). The speeds of
that drive are not significantly "slower" than the ATA133 drives or SATA
drives sold currently for most users and applications.

Stew

chico

i'd be more concerned with keeping current backups of your data, mail, etc.
i just replaced one of these drives on a 4100 and dated oct. 2000. disk
become unreadable.

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, chico wrote:

> i'd be more concerned with keeping current backups of your data, mail, etc.
> i just replaced one of these drives on a 4100 and dated oct. 2000. disk
> become unreadable.

Your point is well taken. This hard drive HAS developed bad sectors. I
don't keep important data on it, like financial stuff, etc. and I have
copied important Word docs onto disks, and am going to have my important
jpg's burned onto a CD one of these days right off the CompactFlash card,
etc. I don't have a zip drive, or anything lke that, to do a backup onto,
and no 'ghosting' program to make an image of everything on the hard disk.

Marilyn B.

As you need a new HD, why not put the new drive in as a slave (temporarily)
and just copy all your data files onto it with Windows Explorer. You could
think about partitioning and imaging later.

Brian