Hard drive instillation issue

JoePorter89

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
I was building my friends PC today, and ran into a slight problem. The hard drive had tray it had no screw slots, so it could be secured in place. I was thinking of using duct tape to hold it down to the tray, because I'm aware it has moving parts inside. Any ideas guys? I'm afraid it will damage the part and it won't work.

Solution
I agree with Jay. HDDs get hot and tape will make a real mess when the adhesive heats up -- velcro would give you reasonable stability, you don't want much vibration as it can damage your drive.

That said, I have never seen a computer case that does not have either slots or holes for attaching HDDs.

SSDs are a different story, pretty much anything is fine for them since they don't vibrate.
Hard drives are pretty durable and a hard drive just sitting in a PC is just fine the way it is without being screwed to anything.

...but if you want to attach it somehow....you could drill holes where there are no screw slots...or use something like velcro or even cable ties to keep it in place.

RealBeast

Titan
I agree with Jay. HDDs get hot and tape will make a real mess when the adhesive heats up -- velcro would give you reasonable stability, you don't want much vibration as it can damage your drive.

That said, I have never seen a computer case that does not have either slots or holes for attaching HDDs.

SSDs are a different story, pretty much anything is fine for them since they don't vibrate.

Solution