Question Hard drive is failing with windows 10 installed, what should I do?

specwolf82

Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
So I had this computer given to me by a friend.. its a gigabyte z68 motherboard, 2600k processor and im making gaming upgrades to it... However, the old 500 gig hard drive is starting to fail... sector errors..... I have a newer 1tb HDD in another PC but barely used....... What should I do? Flash the 1TB HDD and install it into the computer with the failing HD? keep in mind windows 10 is on the failing HDD and I dont have a key for it.... Im lost :/

D

Deleted member 14196

You can still use windows 10 without a key and I suggest a clean install on the new hard drive. don’t have the old Drive hooked up at all when you do it either or any other HDD either. Then later you can get yourself a key but you can use windows 10 for free and get updates regularly without a key just can’t change your desktop wallpaper

specwolf82

Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
You can still use windows 10 without a key and I suggest a clean install on the new hard drive. don’t have the old Drive hooked up at all when you do it either or any other HDD either. Then later you can get yourself a key but you can use windows 10 for free and get updates regularly without a key just can’t change your desktop wallpaper
Im not sure I follow... if windows 10 is installed on the failing HDD, and I take out the failing HDD... how will it even boot windows 10?... you have to understand... im more of a software guy, ive NEVER done anything like this... so im a complete green horn when it comes to installing HDD's.... can you explain a little more... or maybe give me a few links to each step... i would greatly appreciate it....Basically im asking what I need to do... take take a newer HDD from a windows 7 PC and install into the PC with the failing HDD with windows 10 on it.... id prefer to keep windows 10... but I really dont care, I just want my PC to run.... Also, i just realized that I can upgrade to windows 10 for free from the windows 7 PC.... and im not worried about losing anything because its a gaming PC and all my games are already saved on my steam profile

Last edited:

bigrig658

Reputable
Sep 17, 2018
if possible do you have a second pc if so you can slave the failing one into the working one like a external drive to get all what you need off , I have the same-thing happening to me but my system wont see the hard drive for some reason tried all of the tricks but nothing the only way is too hook it up internally and it can be seen Not to hijack the ops question but how can I get it to not recognize the other os so it dont try to boot from both

So I had this computer given to me by a friend.. its a gigabyte z68 motherboard, 2600k processor and im making gaming upgrades to it... However, the old 500 gig hard drive is starting to fail... sector errors..... I have a newer 1tb HDD in another PC but barely used....... What should I do? Flash the 1TB HDD and install it into the computer with the failing HD? keep in mind windows 10 is on the failing HDD and I dont have a key for it.... Im lost :/

Install the good drive in the system, use Windows 10 media to install Windows on that drive. Can download the setup files and make a bootable USB form Microsoft support. If you have Windows 10 activated already under your Microsoft account, you can logon to that account and it will activate normally. If you don't have one, then your friend that had this system should, ask him what was used to activate it.

specwolf82

Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
Install the good drive in the system, use Windows 10 media to install Windows on that drive. Can download the setup files and make a bootable USB form Microsoft support. If you have Windows 10 activated already under your Microsoft account, you can logon to that account and it will activate normally. If you don't have one, then your friend that had this system should, ask him what was used to activate it.
Whenever I log into windows I use my microsoft account and pass... So your telling me since im using my microsoft account and password to log on to windows 10.... even tho I didnt orginally activate it.... It should recognize that I had windows 10 and install it without any issues....

I hate to ask... i really do... But im really looking for a step by step instruction :/ EX.

1.Install hard drive into PC
2. Boot and hit ........

so on and so forth... im a "noob" when it comes to this but I know my way around general software and a pc so I can handle the terminology

Whenever I log into windows I use my microsoft account and pass... So your telling me since im using my microsoft account and password to log on to windows 10.... even tho I didnt orginally activate it.... It should recognize that I had windows 10 and install it without any issues....

I hate to ask... i really do... But im really looking for a step by step instruction :/ EX.

1.Install hard drive into PC
2. Boot and hit ........

so on and so forth... im a "noob" when it comes to this but I know my way around general software and a pc so I can handle the terminology

Yes, if you used an MS account with your current system, it should activate when you logon to the new build.

For setup instructions there are tons of info already out there, no need to re-type everything, just do search on how to install Windows 10.