Hard drive - need help

G

Hi guys. I am going to build a pc these days. I chose ASUS CUSL2 for my mobo. Now as for requirements for IDE it is: UltraDMA/100/66/33 Bus Master IDE Ports. So, can you tell me, can I buy Hard drive with ATA66/100, will it be compatable with this mobo, or should I buy specific hard drive for that?

Thank you beforhand

Majeskty

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just build my first system with the same MB. I put a Maxtor 30 gig which is ATA-100 7200 rpm, very quite. Just remember to use the correct cable, the ATA-66 and ATA-100 use the same cable but it is different from the old cables and can not be used with these units. I used the cable with the HD kit but I believe the MB also comes with this newer cable.

G

I wouldn't be surprised if even old-style ide drives would
work. Haven't heard of a mobo that only accepts DMA drives...

G

sorry but wrong, it will work with older cable but not at the speed they should.
I know this because i used one with my old cable and i had no trouble but since my mobo didn't support ata66, it didn't change anything.

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unfortunately ATA/100 drives don't work with old cables. You MUST use the new cables. I know this because i have tried it before and the computer didn't recognise it.

G

Thanks a lot for your replies. :) I really appreciate that.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Sanik on 11/11/00 06:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

PIO 1,2,3 and 4 HD were not /did not have DMA then?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Seoman on 11/12/00 06:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Every motherboard with ATA66/100 will come with ATA66/100 cable so he would definitely use that cable so you don;t need to worry about him :smile:

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>member</b>!

G

You MUST use the new cable that almost certainly
comes with the MOBO (mine's a CUSL2 also) all previous
drives are compatible. Make sure UDMA 5 is selected/ available in your BIOS. If it is your in good shape...