Question Hard drive noise on speakers

Mar 18, 2023
Hello
I'm trying to solve an issue with my PC but couldn't find the right solution.
I'm using a desktop PC which for the last year +/- is making HD noises from the speakers.
Rather a webpage is loading, scrolling, a file is copied, etc, and there's an HD noise.
All of my HDs are SSds if it's important for this issue.
Is anybody familiar with this issue?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What does +/- mean? Power, positive negative or volume up and down?

Could be hardware interference or software. Latter would be quicker to determine by running Ubuntu live from usb and see if same thing happens. If it doesn't then that means it's most likely software, some program (check startup items in task manager and try disable one by one to isolate, rebooting each time) or corrupt driver or something wrong with Windows. Hopefully it's only software because hardware would be harder to diagnose.

What's your system specs (diy or pre-built?), including Windows version and power supply.

Ubuntu - https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubuntu-before-you-install#1-getting-started

Scanning for corrupt files in Windows - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

This is probably a sign of either poor design, poor quality of key components such as capacitors, or a combination, and that it applies to both motherboard and sound hardware (latter have weak score when it comes to handling unstable supply voltage). Or it can be different pcb lanes on motherboard suffering from cross-talking, aka, poor design.

But of course, I may be wrong on this assumption (so much can also go wrong in software/drivers) - so you can and should test out with another OS that doesn't share the same or similar drivers. Make yourself a bootable usb stick with Ubuntu or Linux Mint, and see if you're able to reproduce the same audio error using those OS.

Mar 18, 2023
Hi
Sorry about that, by +/-, I meant for the time period. For the last year plus, minus a couple of months. (probably should have been more clear about the in a tech forum :D ).

As for the specs - I built this system myself.
Asus TUF Gaming X570-plus
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
32.0 GB Installed RAM
Seasonic SS-620GB 320 Watts power supply
Windows 11 Pro 22H2
Speakers are old JBL Creature II

I don't have any app on startup besides the basic requires apps that I can't shut down.

I'm not much of a PC expert but I'll check the Ubuntu link you mentioned and will read about that.