Hard drive not detected by windows disk management, but is detected in bios and device manager

JenovaS

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
As the title says, my 3rd hard drive in my computer is detected by the bios and by the device manager in windows, but isn't detected in disk management. It started doing this after I had to take apart the computer to install a new CPU fan, as before then it was working completely fine and was already partitioned.

Specs:
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 EVO 2.0
Hard drive in question: WD10EZEX
Memory: G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL
Video card: EVGA GTX 770

Solution
This is so weird. Everything seems to be in order if the drive is passing all the tests and its properly recognized by the computer. It could be an OS issue of some sort. Try updating your Windows if you have available updates. Also try resetting or updating your BIOS as well. Update and/or reinstall the chipset driver as well.
You could also try running Ubuntu Live USB/DVD, just to see if that OS is capable of properly recognizing the drive.

By the way, sorry for the late reply, but I was away for awhile.
Hey there, JenovaS.

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your HDD.

What does it say in Device Manager when you check the drive's properties? Check if the cables are properly seated as they might have been dislodged by accident while you were connecting the new fan.
Does the drive contain any data which you wish to recover? If "no", then I'd recommend that you download DLG and run both Quick and Extended tests, to see if there's anything alarming going on with the HDD: How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows.
You should also try the HDD with a different SATA port and cables, or even better - with a different computer, to see if the same problem occurs.

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

JenovaS

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

I ran both the quick and extended tests and both passed. I also have tried multiple sata cables, and sata ports in the motherboard with no success.

JenovaS

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

WevUBW1.png

Ze0JEM5.png

FjTgYmL.png

nl3YUlT.png

I don't have a 2nd computer that I could test the hard drive with unfortunately

This is so weird. Everything seems to be in order if the drive is passing all the tests and its properly recognized by the computer. It could be an OS issue of some sort. Try updating your Windows if you have available updates. Also try resetting or updating your BIOS as well. Update and/or reinstall the chipset driver as well.
You could also try running Ubuntu Live USB/DVD, just to see if that OS is capable of properly recognizing the drive.

By the way, sorry for the late reply, but I was away for awhile.

Solution

Thagun

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
Un-installed Intel rapid storage and re

Hard drive appeared in disk management.

Had to rename HD as it was letter D and caused my wifi dongle to stop working, font know why.

Renamed drive to letter A. Today all good.