HARD DRIVE NOT DETECTED

abbeyengr

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Ever since i tried to instal debian linux version via windows on the same partition and the laptop ran out of power.my laptop couldn't access the drive anymore leaving. i tried install win xp all to no avail.And i have seperate partition with important file.What can i do please? HELP!!!

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Can you slave the drive into another linux box? windows setup can't see a drive that's currently in a linux format or has a linux partition. You'd have to reformat the entire drive with windows before you can install windows using a windows install disc.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Oh *** pepe2907, I didn't even realize he said on the same partition lol. abbeyengr, pepe is right. You can't install an OS on the same partition as another. That's basically installing an OS over an OS overwriting the OS that already existed. When you do that, you're overwriting partition tables, master file tables, boot loaders, everything. The previous OS no longer exists. However, if you said you have an important file on another partition, then slave your hard drive into another computer. Try a Windows computer and if it doesn't work, then slave the drive into another linux computer. You should be able to read the other partition.

In the future, make sure you always install OS's on their own seperate partition.