[SOLVED] Hard drive not listed as boot option

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 22, 2021
I can install Windows 10 off a USB drive to the new internal SSD drive, but when I go back to boot options the hard drive is not listed.
Whether I choose Legacy or UEFI Windows Boot Manager isn't listed either.
The drive is recognized in BIOS, but not listed as a boot option.
I was able to update the BIOS to latest version and still same problem.
I've reset BIOS back to factory etc. I don't know how many times and it doesn't change a thing.
I've moved sata cable from sata0 to sata1 same problem.
I removed the jumper and powered on and powered off nothing has changed.
I'm about to lose my mind!
I've NEVER experienced anything like this before.

By the way, it's a DELL Inspiron 3670 MT

PLEASE HELP!

Thank you!

Solution
I found the "Clear" under PTT Security, but I had to put it back into UEFI.
I turned secure boot back on in UEFI, cleared the TPM and under boot sequence in UEFI there is nothing showing.
So I click on "Add Boot Option" and a little box appears saying "File System Not Found!"
What is happening!!??????
..... You never cleared the system security parameter's so the drives were still locked technically. the system was never fully open to new sources. You will probably need to do a fresh install, for a proper functioning system. the last time i had this issue it wouldn't allow for me to upgrade anything in my roommates system till we fully reset everything. clear the sercuity parameters disable them then go from there install what...
I've never had to "clear security parameters" before. Please elaborate.
there should be a option under disable that says clear security settings. my roommates pc has the same thing i will have to wait for her to get home to take a photo and post it if you can't find what i'm talking about but it's there i know it is ive done it my self adding nvme drives to her system

I've never had to "clear security parameters" before. Please elaborate.
o never posted for some reason i have to retype it....so there should be a clear ptt security settings/parameters or whatever it's called in the bios right under the disable setting i know it's there i had to use it myself on my roommates pc but hers is the amd equivalent i'll post a photo when she gets home if you can't find it in your setting's

Jan 22, 2021
hers is the Amd tpm i believe......
I turned secure boot back on in UEFI, cleared the TPM and under boot sequence in UEFI there is nothing showing.
So I click on "Add Boot Option" and a little box appears saying "File System Not Found!"

..... You never cleared the system security parameter's so the drives were still locked technically. the system was never fully open to new sources. You will probably need to do a fresh install, for a proper functioning system. the last time i had this issue it wouldn't allow for me to upgrade anything in my roommates system till we fully reset everything. clear the sercuity parameters disable them then go from there install what you want new gpu cpu hdd's ssd's any of that. but before so we couldn't even replace the cpu without it locking

Solution
Jan 22, 2021
..... You never cleared the system security parameter's so the drives were still locked technically. the system was never fully open to new sources. You will probably need to do a fresh install, for a proper functioning system. the last time i had this issue it wouldn't allow for me to upgrade anything in my roommates system till we fully reset everything. clear the sercuity parameters disable them then go from there install what you want new gpu cpu hdd's ssd's any of that. but before so we couldn't even replace the cpu without it locking
Ok, I will do all that and report.
Crossing my fingers.
Thank you!

Jan 22, 2021
No go!
I cleared the TPM/PTT security and disabled secure boot etc.. and after a clean install when the system boots for the 1st time
I get the Dell supportassist shows up and says No Bootable Device Found!
Something is not adding up here! Like I've said, I have done this hundreds of times in my life and I've never had this or any problems I couldn't figure out.
I'm beginning to think it's a lemon and time to move on.

No go!
I cleared the TPM/PTT security and disabled secure boot etc.. and after a clean install when the system boots for the 1st time
Something is not adding up here! Like I've said, I have done this hundreds of times in my life and I've never had this or any problems I couldn't figure out.
Like i said you will need to do a clean install of windows as well

No go!
And you are doing doing this all with the latest bios as well right?

Jan 22, 2021
I figured it out FINALLY!!
Cleaned drive with diskpart and then put Dell into UEFI w/o secure boot
and installed W10 with USB and it's all good!!! WooHoo!!! :bounce:
Huge THANK YOU for you time and effort!!

Reactions: white.a.drew
I figured it out FINALLY!!
Cleaned drive with diskpart and then put Dell into UEFI w/o secure boot
and installed W10 with USB and it's all good!!! WooHoo!!! :bounce:
Huge THANK YOU for you time and effort!!
Welcome welcome i have to do this constantly for friends so this is something i know. The moment i looked up your pc and seen the tpm security i knew the problem

Reactions: USAFRet