Hard drive not recognised

maks_the_beast

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
My friends computer suddenly stopped booting and it said select boot device. The hard drive wasn't recognised in the boot menu so I checked what was the issue. The issue is the sata port on the hard drive not working as the same cable works with the CD drive and recognises it and the hard drive works as you can hear it move. The sata cable doesn't click in place so i think that's the issue. Our option was to remove his PS4 hard drive and set up windows but he wants his hard drive to work as we believe that's the sata port on the hard drive as all the ports work on the motherboard. The port on the HDD looks fine but it doesn't click in. Any help?

SATA ports do sometimes fail. So do hard drives. If you can move the drive to a different port or different cable it is a lot easier to test than getting a new drive and cloning it over...especially since you couldn't clone it until it is on a working port anyway.

When you say it doesn't click in place, are we talking about cable to drive, or cable to motherboard? Either way it may be the problem, but you might need to get creative if it is cable to drive and the drive is at fault (meaning if no replacement cable can be used).