Hard drive not recognized after formatting

fatsoh

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
i just upgraded to a SSD and formatted my old HDD. I wanted to keep it for storage because the SSD isnt to large but the old hard drive doesnt show up when i go to my computer or the BIOS

help!

fatsoh

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

done that multiple times. maybe it has something to do that i just formatted it?

See if the drive shows up in disk management.

Go to the command prompt or run window, type diskmgmt.msc and enter, or open administrative tools >computer management >then click on disk management on the menu to the left and wait a few seconds for drive information to come up.

If it appears there you can probably run Seatools for windows on the drive to check for problems. If it doesn't, you either have a bad SATA header or storage controller on the motherboard or a bad cable, or a bad drive.

fatsoh

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

it doesnt show up in disk management so I think it might be a messed up cable or faulty SATA slot

Yeah, very possible. Try the drive on another SATA header or with a different cable. Maybe even, just for testing, disconnect the SSD that DOES work, and connect the HDD with that cable. Boot and go into the BIOS and see if the drive shows up. If it does, it's probably a bad cable.