Hard Drive not recognized in BIOS, disk management, or device manager. Still spins up

Mscholtes

Reputable
Aug 10, 2017
I have looked everywhere for a fix but 2 days and no luck. I recently purchased a Seagate 2 TB firecuda 3.5 HDD/ SSD hybrid, and tried to install it along side my old 1 TB barracuda. However, the HDD will spin up, but not get recognized by anything on my PC. I have tried new cables, even switching the power and data cables used on my working HDD with the cables on the Firecuda, proving that the both sets of cables work on the prior and neither work on the latter. I have tried everything, even resetting bios! plz help!

Solution
UPDATE | ok so I decided to put another drive in the exact same place, with the same cables and everything, as the bummed drive and it worked fine. Called Seagate and they agreed it's just a bad drive, so I'm going right now to get it replaced. I will let you all know if it was indeed the drive or not.

Edit: I never thought it was a common problem to have a brand new piece of hardware arrive dead, but apparently it is. Never rule out a faulty piece of equipment as a solution. The replacement drive worked fine.

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you test hdd in another PC? If it doesn't work in other PC you probably need a new hdd.

If it does work, do you have the latest bios as that would be about only other thing stopping PC from seeing it, I would think.

Mscholtes

Reputable
Aug 10, 2017

Yes It works in another PC and I have tried every available sata port, including one that works with my current HDD

Mscholtes

Reputable
Aug 10, 2017
UPDATE | ok so I decided to put another drive in the exact same place, with the same cables and everything, as the bummed drive and it worked fine. Called Seagate and they agreed it's just a bad drive, so I'm going right now to get it replaced. I will let you all know if it was indeed the drive or not.

Edit: I never thought it was a common problem to have a brand new piece of hardware arrive dead, but apparently it is. Never rule out a faulty piece of equipment as a solution. The replacement drive worked fine.

Solution