Hard drive not showing in disk management or device manager

felstead59

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
Hi. I'm having real trouble installing a new toshiba 3tb hard disk into my PC. I've installed plenty of hard disks overthe years and it's normally straight forward but am stumped.

PC is a little old but a perfectly serviceable Dell Xeon CPU, Windows 7 - 64 bit operating system.

A year back I transferred the OS onto a solid state disk and formatted the original hard disk which I use for file storage. This all works fine and generally I don't have any problems with the machine.

I've tried connecting the new disk using different cables and different slots on the motherboard. I've unplugged the existing second drive (which currently works) and re-used the same cables and connections but no joy.

If I boot and load the BIOS it happily sees the new disk and if all are plugged it see three disks in total.

When I go into disk management I can't see the disk anywhere - normally I would expect to see it in the lower window, partition it and assign it a drive letter but nothing. I've tried re-scanning disks but still nothing. I've tried device manager, I've tried scanning for hardware changes, I've set it to show hidden devices - nothing.

Having failed all this - I took the disk into work, connected it to my work PC which picked it up in disk management and I could format it (although it would only let me create a 2TB partition). So I brought it back home expecting to plug it in and be off but still nothing. I've searched through endless threads on related topics - including many on this forum but am drawing a blank. Any suggestions gratefully received!

Solution
It's hard to see any other option for you at this point other than returning the Toshiba to the vendor for a refund if applicable, or if not, pursuing a RMA with Toshiba. These "freakish" situations do happen at times.
Interestingly, members of my local computer club were offered discounted prices on Toshiba 3 TB HDDs last year. I purchased two of them myself. AFAIK, all the Toshibas have been performing quite well.
It's hard to see any other option for you at this point other than returning the Toshiba to the vendor for a refund if applicable, or if not, pursuing a RMA with Toshiba. These "freakish" situations do happen at times.
Interestingly, members of my local computer club were offered discounted prices on Toshiba 3 TB HDDs last year. I purchased two of them myself. AFAIK, all the Toshibas have been performing quite well.

Solution