Hard drive not working?

tornados2111

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I have windows 7, I went into devices and printers, realised that there was a little alert sighn on my *username*-PC. So I decided to go to troubleshooting by right clicking and pressing Troubleshoot. The first thing was to update my driver, I updated it but the next time I went into my computer, one of my hard drives was not detected! Its a SEAGATE - BARRACUDA LP 5900.12 2TB 3.5IN 5900RPM 32MB SATA/300. 2 therabytes. I didn't have anything on it that was very necessary, all of my stuff is on my other hard drive. Any ideas why this could of happened and how to fix it? As I said nothing important on it but it will be needed in the future and I would like to get it fixed. Any help would be appreciated

Maybe a driver issue. In 'Device Manager' disable the HDD, the shut down and re-start the computer. Win 7 will load the latest driver. The 2 TB drives are relatively new, compared to the 1 TB drives.

tornados2111

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
The HDD was not under disk drives but under Other devices and it is was called Unknown device, I selected properties, then disabled it, restarted my computer but its still not recognised, and its still known as an Unknown device

Don't disable it, simply delete it and reboot and windows will detect it and load drivers for it. After reboot, check the device manager again and see if it looks ok. You may even get away with clicking on the "rollback driver" button and rebooting.

tornados2111

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

The roll back driver button is greyed out, how do i delete it?

The rollback button is grayed out because you disabled it. If you enable it you can try rolling it back. To delete it, simply click on it to select it, then hit your delete key on the keyboard.