Hard drive problems need help

SwankyDanky

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello, ive got a brand new 2tb harddrive from seagate and ive noticed that every is still very slow and programs open pretty slow, my google sometimes freezes too
PC SPECS:
GPU: EVGA Geforce Gtx 1070
CPU: I5 6600 3.3 GHZ
RAM:Kingston HyperX 8GB
PSU: Enermax 650W
MOBO: GA-H110M-S2PV DDR4

Hey there, SwankyDanky.

First, backup any important data which you might have written on that HDD, just to be on the safe side. After that go ahead and try the drive with a different SATA port and cables, to see if the issue still persists. You should also download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run the tests, just to check what's the situation with the drive.

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

SwankyDanky

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

Ive done those before with it and its said everything was fine so idk what to do

So if the tests show that everything's fine with the drive it could be a connection issue (so go ahead and proceed with the SATA cables and port swap), or probably the problem lies somewhere else. I'd recommend that you do a memory tests as freezing/hanging of the system might be caused by a faulty RAM module as well.

ScreamSilence

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
What is the seagate drive's model?

Is it your only Drive?

Is it you main OS drive? If it is: did you use one of those harddrive cloning tools, to move the old file system to the new drive?
Those tools usually have you end up with corrupt windows files.

If you did use such a tool assuming you have windows 10 you want to right click your start menu, then open a command prompt as admin. (If you Have windows 7 Open the Start Menu, click on All Programs and Accessories, right click on Command Prompt, and click on Run as administrator.) then type the following:

sfc /scannow

That will scan and repair the windows filesystem

ScreamSilence

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
also, I notice you said "is still very slow".

It could be faulty RAM like boogieman said. It could also be lack of RAM. You mention Google Chrome Freezing. I have 16GB of RAM and sometimes I have so many tabs add ons and programs open my chrome freezes :lol:

If you have Windows 10 there is this annoying RAM hogging thing called Runtime broker (literally would take 80%+ of my 16Gigs). To disable it press the windows key and type settings open it. then go to notifications and actions and disable "get tips,tricks, and suggestions using windows."

Also Microsoft windows search indexer can eat up a lot of disk bandwidth if you are using your PC and you see it running in task manager just end the task.

It could also be spyware and other junk clogging your drive's bandwidth. Do you have an antivirus?
It could also be the antivirus lol... I know I've had antivirus's throttle me before specifically avast and one called 360 something or another :fou: I'm now using the Asus edition of Kaspersky (yay gaming optimized antivirus :D)

What is you disk load on idle in task manager?
and does it reach 100% under load when freezing or lagging?
check in the task manager startup tab and disable things you don't need to be running at startup or all day.
Does Ram usage reach 100% when freezing?

Do you have a pagefile set up on the disk or another disk?
Control Panel>
System and security>
System >
Advanced system settings>
(Tab) Advanced>
(group) Performance>
Settings >
advanced (while you are here set the processor scheduling to adjust best performance for programs if not already selected)>
virtual memory. >
Change>
you can check the box for "automatically manage paging file size for all drives." But this can be slow as windows expands the pagefile to meet it's demands.
You could also set it manually to 8GB since you have room to spare on that 2TB drive. (I dont recommend more than that, and if you have more than one drive its best to spread the load as in 2 drives 4Gb on each.) Absolutely DO NOT set a pagefile on an SSD unless you want it to die fast :p

But if it is lack of ram page file is kind of just a bandaid. Since it will also eat your disk bandwidth. If RAM usage maxes out or even hits the 90%s I would consider getting more RAM

ScreamSilence

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
Hello, has your problem been solved? If so could you tell us how you solved it or select someone as the best response.

People answer questions out of their free time free of charge. This would help further the community. Thank you!

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
"...every [read & write] is still very slow and programs open pretty slow..."
SwankyDanky, what security and monitoring programs or utilities are running in the background? I've found that if such background running items are set to operate a little too assertively -- that's what happened to me also.

ScreamSilence

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017

what I think the real problem to be is your HDD speed. Could you tell me the model of this Seagate drive.

anyway
holy.... lol what is all this cc cleaner , time manager, and stuff you're running at the same time XD. Disable those apps from the startup tab in your task manager. Run them manually when you need them. If you need them often pin them to the taskbar or to the start menu. Close them fully when you are done.

windows defender
Windows defender is also partially the problem... I disabled it a long time before I even installed a proper antivirus.
if you want to disable it

• Open the "Local Group Policy Editor." Click "Start," type "Edit Group Policy" and press "Enter."

Expand the group policy folders labeled "Computer Configuration," "Administrative Templates," "Windows Components," and "Windows Defender" on the left navigation pane. Double-click the group policy folders to expand them.

Click "Turn off Windows Defender" on the right of the window, then click "Edit Policy Setting" to open the "Turn off Windows Defender" dialog box.

Click the circle next to "Enabled" to disable Windows Defender.

Click "Apply" to save the settings and click "OK" to close the "Turn off Windows Defender" dialog box.

nvidia
Another thing you might want to try is clean uninstalling GeForce experience. Since it seems to be a lot of Nvidia at the top. Then clean installing your GPU drivers. I don't mean the clean install option that the NVidia installer gives you that is not thorough. Either way you'll have to do this if you want to run vulkan or dx12.

please boot into safe mode

• Select the Start Windows logo button,
    then choose Settings

Select Update & security > Recovery.

Under Advanced startup select Restart now.

After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

After your PC restarts, select a startup setting by pressing the corresponding number

Then run Display driver uninstaller (after having uninstalled Geforce experience)
http://www.wagnardsoft.com/DDU/download/DDU%20v17.0.5.5.exe

Then install Your drivers using Geforce experience or from the Nvidia website.

It's still likely to be the actual HDD RPM, Id recommend an SSHD or a SSD.

find the bottleneck
Also, running userbenchmark will give you a really good idea of any components in your pc underperforming.

Please close ALL Applications before running it. Everything and anything that is not necessary to the system close it, or you will fudge your numbers.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/resources/download/UserBenchMark.exe
It will compare them to the average of other people running the same hardware at the same clock speeds and tell you if your hardware is running above average, below average or as expected. It will also score your system in a way that will single out the weakest link. A.K.A the bottleneck if any. Which I believe to be your HDD

ScreamSilence

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017

I'll ask again, Please provide the model of your seagate drive though... lol
Because chances are it's below 7200RPM

"Given two identically designed hard drives with the same areal densities, a 7200 RPM drive will deliver data about 33% faster than the 5400 RPM drive. "

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
"...I'll ask again, Please provide the model of your seagate drive though;
Because chances are it's below 7200RPM...Given two identically designed hard drives with the same areal densities, a 7200 RPM drive will deliver data about 33% faster than the 5400 RPM drive. "

SwankyDanky, ScreamSilence's question is for YOU, not for me :)

SwankyDanky

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
UserBenchmarks: Game 86%, Desk 62%, Work 42%
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 - 85.9%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 - 96.1%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2016) - 78.7%
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 2133 C14 2x4GB - 75.4%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2PV-CF
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/3102246

Nvidia GTX 1070-$529
67,093 User benchmarks - Average bench 100%
EVGA(3842 6173)
MaxC: 1999 MHz, MaxM: 2002 MHz, Ram: 8GB, Driver: 378.78
Performing below expectations (22nd percentile

Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2016)-$99
2,010 User benchmarks - Average bench 98%
966GB free
Firmware: CC26 Max speed: SATA 3.0 600 MB/s
SYSTEM NCQ 7200 RPM !4KALIGNED S.M.A.R.T
Performing way below expectations (5th percentile

Intel Core i5-6600-$292
10,237 User benchmarks - Average bench 81%
U3E1, 1 CPU, 4 cores, 4 threads
Base clock 3.3 GHz, turbo 3.65 GHz (avg)
Performing way above expectations (92nd percentile

HyperX Fury DDR4 2133 C14 2x4GB-$98
4,188 User benchmarks - Average bench 71%
2 of 4 slots used
8GB DIMM DDR4 clocked @ 2133 MHz
Performing above expectations (84th percentile)

Do not know if u can see the userbenchmark link but i put all the sstuff in there for you to see.

ScreamSilence

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
Yeah sure I'll PM you my Discord.
I'm almost certain we have the same HDD so I'm actually not sure why yours is performing so badly.

I was running that as my main OS drive till like 2 weeks ago