hard drive randomly stops showing files, then they're back.

davidrosen

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
my harddrive (an ST2000DM001 that came in my Dell XPS 8700) is randomly not showing any files. all the folders are all there but they show as empty. a reboot will make them all appear again. while they're not shown lightroom can't access my catalog (which is stored on this drive) and it can when they are accessible, so its like the files really aren't there when it's not showing them.

chkdsk found no errors, im' currently running seagate's seatools but its taking forever.

any ideas? is this drive dead?

Solution

Well...if you need the space, you buy the space.

My PC (5 drives - 2TB total) is backed up to the NAS every night.
The NAS box (RAID 5, 10.6TB effective space, 5.8TB used space) is backed up to an external 8TB weekly.

If any single drive in the PC dies, all I need is another drive. Recover the data from last nights backup.
If any single drive in the NAS dies, nothing is lost...just slot in a new 4TB.
If the entire NAS dies, new drives and recover from the full backup of last Wednesday morning.

davidrosen

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
so seatools found an issue and it said i need to run seatools for dos... but because of windows 10 and uefi i can't get the computer to boot off a cd or usb drive! haha. i finally got it to boot off a CD but i guess from turning off uefi it doesn't show any drives? ugh...

USAFRet

Titan

Contact Seagate and be prepared to send it back.

davidrosen

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
yeah unfortunately they're closed for the night. tomorrow. i don't expect a replacement though this is a 4 year old computer. i just was hoping to get it fixed to the point where i can get life to a stopping point and then just buy a new drive and reinstall everything. blah.

USAFRet

Titan

Yeah, 4 year old system is almost certainly out of warranty.

This is what backups are for.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, it CAN be that easy.
Maybe not 30 minutes easy, but no more than 12-18 hours for the entire 10TB.

davidrosen

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013

USAFRet

Titan

Well...if you need the space, you buy the space.

My PC (5 drives - 2TB total) is backed up to the NAS every night.
The NAS box (RAID 5, 10.6TB effective space, 5.8TB used space) is backed up to an external 8TB weekly.

If any single drive in the PC dies, all I need is another drive. Recover the data from last nights backup.
If any single drive in the NAS dies, nothing is lost...just slot in a new 4TB.
If the entire NAS dies, new drives and recover from the full backup of last Wednesday morning.

Solution