Hard Drive Shipments Back on Record Track After Thai Floods

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just because they finally got SHIPMENTS back up doesn't mean yields aren't still lower in the new/repaired factories, and it doesn't mean they have recouped all the money they spent to repair and build new ones. Its not as simple as "ooo they are evil", they took a big hit. As shipments climb prices will continent to drop though.

The buy outs certainly don't help either though, and I desperately miss my good Samsung drives being available

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Prices are still nearly double what they were for a 2Tb drive, even though they have been superceded by 3Tb and 4Tb drives - some might say that the cost of HDDs are being impacted by increased sales of SSDs, prices are now at an all-time low

geost91gr

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Prices are still higher than pre-flood and warranty periods are still limited to 1-2 years, at least in Europe. Not much of a recovery, right?

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]Just because they finally got SHIPMENTS back up doesn't mean yields aren't still lower in the new/repaired factories, and it doesn't mean they have recouped all the money they spent to repair and build new ones. Its not as simple as "ooo they are evil", they took a big hit. As shipments climb prices will continent to drop though. The buy outs certainly don't help either though, and I desperately miss my good Samsung drives being available[/citation]

Were they not insured?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
what? what is this i'm reading? stronger demand for HDDs? record numbers for consumer and enterprise PC HDDs? because of stronger PC demand? wasn't the PC going to be replaced next week by the mighty ARM powered device?????

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nightc[/nom]Just invest a bit more for SSD and Cloud Storage. It's fast, cheap and available anywhere.[/citation]

Yeah cloud storage is good, available 24/7 to anyone - Including possible hackers. Its awesome alright!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Still no difference in prices down our side.... seem to be going higher and higher.The HDD companies are going to get sued for manipulating the market like 5 years from now.....[/citation]

Sounds likely however they will be fined a small amonth compared to what they earned from it totally and that money go to the government/lawyers and not the consumer who paid the overprice in the first place... awesome system... ohh yeah! /end sartcasm

acyuta

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
For a 2TB drive, prices are around 50% higher than at the trough in mid-2011. So by natural order of previous declines, prices could be around 60% higher than they should be. They are declining but at a slow rate and only in bursts. Stays stagnant or range bound and then may decline by 5% after 2 months. Too little, too less.

G

looks like the masterminds behind the forced push to cloud have more tsunamis and floods to do

More concerning than the cost of the drives (sure they are higher, but they are not insanely priced), is that you cannot get a decent warranty!
Seriously, I don't mind paying current prices, but if they warranty their drive for 1 year then that means it will last ~2 years (in my mind at least). If they are willing to stand behind their product for 2-3 years, then I could at least have of hope that my data will be relatively safe for ~5 years. Sure, I keep my important stuff backed up, but the inconviencence of having to deal with recovering a backup, and then re-download other bulk recoverable files (games, movies, and music) is too much of a pain to even consider getting a drive right now.

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]what? what is this i'm reading? stronger demand for HDDs? record numbers for consumer and enterprise PC HDDs? because of stronger PC demand? wasn't the PC going to be replaced next week by the mighty ARM powered device?????[/citation]
Almost all of the drives sold right now are going into cloud storage systems as business prep to off-load all of their data from their end-user devices, and replace them with smaller SSDs or devices with SSDs in them. They are fools if they think this is a trend that is going to continue for very long.

Also keep in mind for PC sales that the largest volume of sales of a platform is when it is about to die because the platform becomes cheap, and those who are tied to the platform stock up so that they have devices available for a while before they pick their next platform. This is true on the PC end as people stock up before tablets take over end-user devices next year, as well as people/businesses buying up PCs before win8 is released, so that is a lot of HDDs being sold via computers right now. Case and point; PS2 had its best sales when the current gen of consoles were released. PS2 outsold the Wii, PS3, and xBox360 combined for 2 years before it died. Same with VHS; when DVD was released VHS sales skyrockedted for a few years. When bluray was released DVD sales soared for 2 years before BluRay finally started selling more units. Do not misunderstand; I thing the PC will still be around for many more years. for hard core gamers, the only real option is the PC, and it will remain that way for another 5 years at least (probably more like 7-10) before we start seeing high end tablets that can hook up to a TV/monitor with passable game quality. For content creators and editors I think there is nothing on the horizon yet to replace the PC... but then again photo editing can already be done pretty well on a high end tablet, so perhaps I am wrong on this. For for the average user that plays normal games and MMOs, or browses the web, I fully expect tablets (high end x86 tablets... not this arm crap) to be able to do the job within the next year, and Arm tablets can already take the place of the average PC that just browses the web and watches movies. And the browser and causial gamer market are some 75+% of the 'PC' market... so ya, the PC is not dead yet... but it will be within the next few years.

On the other end of HDD sales; it is businesses stocking up on HDDs because they are afraid of the reliability of SSDs simply because it is the 'new kid' in town. Next year (or possibly even before the end of this year) we are going to see 2TB SSDs on the pro market, and possibly entering the consumer market. SSDs offer much higher performance (even on entry level models), lower power consumption, lower cooling costs, less noise (don't think for a second that is not a huge consideration for small-midsized business when buying a server), and much higher data density than HDDs. All the while they provide a similar lifespan, and not much premium on price compared to high end SAS drives. My bet this that you will not be able to find HDDs for servers within 5 years, and they will have eaten most of the consumer market by that time as well as they come down in price. In fact, if someone was bold enough to come out with a lower performance (150MBps, but still a sub 2ms seek time), but reliable drive for a dirt cheap price then I bet OEMs would ditch HDD technology all together right now.

The only 'future' for HDDs right now is for home and small business users who need bulk storage and cannot afford bulk SSDs or professional SAS drives. For everything else SSDs have a better answer, and with the price doping as quickly as it is, it will only be a year or two before they are nearing the cost of a traditional HDD. I mean, 1 year ago you could get a 60GB SSD for ~$100, where now you can find a 240GB SSD for $140 (what I recently paid for my last one, go NCIX!). That is a price drop from $1.66/GB down to $0.58/GB. It is not the same as the current $0.10/GB of a HDD, but it is quickly bridging the gap, while offering extreme performance gains.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Bought a 1TB Samsung F3 about a month before the flood for $60. Same store, different price $85. 40% higher. Are you sure we're "fully recovered".

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
SSD drives are becoming more and more affordable less heat less power less noise more reliable and faster good bye HDD it was nice knowing you.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]In Europe where i live the gas price is 6 dollars for a gallon , why the hell are you so lucky over there[/citation]
we are not lucky...we are being robbed....we used to pay about 80 cents for a gallon of regular gas in 1996...i know that inflation is to blame but this is out of control

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]Bought a 1TB Samsung F3 about a month before the flood for $60. Same store, different price $85. 40% higher. Are you sure we're "fully recovered".[/citation]

Similar story here. Hitachi 2TB Green for £55 soon before the flood is now £85. I'm glad I bought 2 of them as that's allowing me to wait out the profiteers.

Status
Not open for further replies.