[SOLVED] hard drive smart disc failure

darkknightrasil

Reputable
Jul 25, 2018
My nephew has a 2018 OMEN HP laptop and just recently received a hard drive error. I replaced his battery that was looked like it was about to explode after opening it up to see what was wrong.
He has one SSD and a small M.2 ssd card I have never used before. I think I need to change that card but am not 100% sure.

This is the message i got and after doing a systems check the hard drive smart check failed:

"The SMART hard disk check has detected an imminent failure. To ensure not data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the hard disk test in system diagnostics"

Failure ID: 9TWDXX-8T7A6E-MFPUQK-60FX03
hard drive slot 2

(usually shown at top of report screen).
It says drive 2 which would be the standard ssd
i tried to change both that and the ram size M.2 SSD

Samsung SM961 Polaris 128GB M.2-2280 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe Solid State Drive SSD

I purchased a

Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7S250B/AM)

to replace it and a case so i can clone the drive 1 but he still gets the message. I also tried to take out the drive 2 ssd which is storing his games and such and he still gets the message. Last week i tried to do a wipe on the drives and nothing changed.

sidpost

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
Heavy game use tends to overheat laptops. Yes, you have an HP OMEN gamer laptop but, the battery sounds like it got toasted so other damage is unknown.

I'm not sure of your warranty status but, before I spend money on a new drive, I'd want to know if HP will come out and replace it for free. Had a workstation that developed some issues and HP sent a tech to me (2 hour drive each way) with an I/O card a few other parts only to learn my CPU was bad and came back ~2 weeks later and replaced that too.

The only thing it cost me was downtime.

Also, SSD drives in heavy game use will reach end of life faster than normal drives. Remember, solid-state high-performance drives are not as long lived as a traditional hard drive.

darkknightrasil

Reputable
Jul 25, 2018
Heavy game use tends to overheat laptops. Yes, you have an HP OMEN gamer laptop but, the battery sounds like it got toasted so other damage is unknown.

I'm not sure of your warranty status but, before I spend money on a new drive, I'd want to know if HP will come out and replace it for free. Had a workstation that developed some issues and HP sent a tech to me (2 hour drive each way) with an I/O card a few other parts only to learn my CPU was bad and came back ~2 weeks later and replaced that too.

The only thing it cost me was downtime.

Also, SSD drives in heavy game use will reach end of life faster than normal drives. Remember, solid-state high-performance drives are not as long lived as a traditional hard drive.
laptop is 3 years old. I had to figure out how to replace the screen when he punched it his first year having it because his mom didn't buy a warrently.

sidpost

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
his laptop is 3 years old and his mom never bought a warranty. I had to figure out how to replace the screen when he punched it his first year having it lol

Wow! If I had a nice laptop like that, I would treat it very well. I never had anything close to that growing up so, maybe I appreciate things like that a bit more. Heck, I never had a game system either.

I did get a set of jumper cables so I could jumpstart the tractor for my birthday one year! 😊

Reactions: Grobe