Commendable
Jun 10, 2019
Here I am, back with my faulty PC.

Before anything, here are the specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R7 240 4GB DDR3
Mobo: ASUS M5A78L-M LX Plus
RAM: 8GB DDR3 (2x4GB)
HDD's: Samsung HD501LJ (System), Seagate ST1000DM003, Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008.
PSU: Acteck Z700 Edge Systems

Now, with the issue:
A while back, after recording a gameplay with some friends, I noticed that the programs I had opened, started to freeze, but the computer wasn't locked up, I could still move the cursor. Then, since I couldn't do anything, I decided to force shutdown the PC. After turning it on, the PC would post, but when it was supposed to boot into windows, it threw me an error message: "A disc read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". I got scared because I thought I was going to lose my drive and data (I hadn't done a backup then), but the drive wasn't clicking or grinding, it just didn't show any activity (except the one when being detected by POST).

This happened just once, though. The next day it could boot into Windows (I still had Windows 8.1), and then I started noticing the problem I'm getting so far: the hard drive would suddenly stop responding (the HDD LED stopped flashing), it would stop having activity for some seconds, and then it would have a burst of activity, and the frozen programs would resume working. Sometimes it happens once, sometimes it happens multiple times at the point of driving me nuts for not letting me work without having both eyes on the resource monitor or the PC itself.
At this point I had backed up my data and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10. But the problem was still there, and during some time it would start clicking when it stopped responding, but the drive itself was still readable, since I could still access and open the data I had there with Recovery's command prompt.

Reading some other similar threads here and in other websites, I thought it had something to do with the hard drive or the SATA cable, however, since this also happens with my other drives, which... I never had problems with, I just... don't know what's the problem. Although I think it has also something to do with the motherboard, since it had some problems before (power but no POST: ended up being a short in the 12v 4-pin connector). Any solutions?

Solution
Touch the computer casing (Metal Part)
Off the computer,
Pull the power plug out from the wall
Then Check the sata cable that it is not loose
both power and interface.
if can clean it properly
If those are cheap skate connector connected to the cheapskate power supply.
Better you buy a better brand of power supply and dump the power supply into the trash can.

simonyeeklang

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 22, 2011
Touch the computer casing (Metal Part)
Off the computer,
Pull the power plug out from the wall
Then Check the sata cable that it is not loose
both power and interface.
if can clean it properly
If those are cheap skate connector connected to the cheapskate power supply.
Better you buy a better brand of power supply and dump the power supply into the trash can.

Solution