Question Hard Drive Temps - failing to control them! Have you checked yours?

stuzathegreat

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Hey Guys!

Note: Disks must be on 24/7

I've got a full tower that has 7 drives (8tb each) installed. In the main chassis I have 4 spaced out in 8 vertical drive bays (so a drives gap between each) and 120mm fans on 100% and these are running around a comfortable 32c.

The other 3 are in an IcyDock 5.25 converter. This is designed to hold four. Under recommendation from the reviews I've replaced the fan with a much better one however, the drives are still getting hot. In particular, the point where 2 disks are next to each other these disks are getting up to 40c each!

If any 2 disks are next to each other, regardless of chassis or IcyDock, they will go to 38/40c or more and now I can hear the dreaded drive clicking from one of them, a sign it's starting to fail.

For my back-up I am connected over USB to a Mobius Pro 5C. As this is specifically designed to house 5 disks (12tb each) next to each other you would hope the temps here would be OK... but nope, you'd be wrong! With the door shut (intended operation) the temps all quickly shoot up PAST 40c. I now run this with the door open and a small USB powered (from the mobius USB out) desk fan and the disks are OK, again around 32c.

So, as you can see, I have a problem - I can't keep my disks cool! (Have you checked YOUR disk temps?)

To be honest, I'm about ready to build a new PC and I'd like to resolve this once and for all. I don't want to build any additional NAS and, ideally, I'd be happy to build a small PC and house BOTH sets of disks via USB - they are NAS drives anyway so speed isn't an issue. I tried a few of the open air "insert drive vertical" USB bays like this but often found the interfaces to be unreliable and lose data (The Oyen has been perfect for actual data transfer safety)

Does anyone know of an external drive housing that actually does keep the drives cool AND has a SAFE data transfer interface? It does not need to take 8 as I am happy to buy a couple more 12/14TB drives to consolidate the internal - one of them is failing anyway! I would think 5 is the minimum though.

Thanks for suggestions!

BTW, the room is under AC and running cool.

stuzathegreat

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
What is a Safe Hard Disk Temperature Range?
Hard Disk Temperature
Less than 25°C:Too cold
25°C to 40°C:Ideal
41°C to 50°C:Acceptable
More than 50°C:Too hot

Seagate, the manufacturer says up to 39.9c is recommended, Max is 60. So that is different to the info above, suggesting they should be below 40c and above 40 will work but not recommended - remember these are on 24/7. Also, I have to keep replacing them way more than I would expect, maybe 1 every 6 months? This also suggests they are too hot or just cr4p to begin with.

How is that different? IDEAL is 25C to 40C so it's pretty much your 39.9C. So that was accurate. Max 60 is included in the more than 50C. So still accurate.

I have no idea why your HDD is breaking after 6 months but maybe it's just because you're using them a lot? If you have 7 8TB drives in your system you must be someone that keeps writing on them non stop? If your HDD is under 50C you're ok.

stuzathegreat

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
How is that different? IDEAL is 25C to 40C so it's pretty much your 39.9C. So that was accurate. Max 60 is included in the more than 50C. So still accurate.

I have no idea why your HDD is breaking after 6 months but maybe it's just because you're using them a lot? If you have 7 8TB drives in your system you must be someone that keeps writing on them non stop? If your HDD is under 50C you're ok.

As I said, they are on 24/7 so I don't think "Acceptable" is OK for 24/7 drives.

Yes, I use them a lot, they are on 24/7. - 95% read access.

Both of the above are WHY I want to get the temps well in to the safety of Recommended by the manufacturer!

If they were only on occasionally then I would be perfectly happy to accept 40-50.

So, the original question still stands but let me put it this way ...

I'm unhappy to run them at those temps. I'm not comfortable. Does anyone know an external housing and interface that will keep them cool?