Question Hard drive vibration/noise?

nico1a5

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Recently I got a WD black 8tb drive.

When using it or reading something from it (running error scan), it starts to do some "periodic hard vibrations", that can be felt by touching the hard drive chassis while it's turned on.
You can hear the noise here. (ignore the background fans)
The problem is, even if the reads and writes go back to 0 bytes/second, the vibrations do not stop. (I haven't measured it, but they can keep going for at least half an hour, if they ever stop)

Just now before posting this thread, I found that this is caused by having hwinfo64 running in background. When closing the program, the noise stops completely.

The thing is, I have another 2tb wd black drive from over 7 years ago, and it never made this kind of noise. Also it does not vibrate as hard. It does more high pitched noises but only when loading heavy files.

I know I can disable monitoring only for this drive. But would it be harmful to keep it doing it forever? and why does it happen in the first place?
Are these noises normal? if not, I still can get a replacement.

Thanks!

nico1a5

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
hey thanks for the answer.
So if it was "designed" to vibrate harder, then it shouldn't be an issue.
That link talks about "Helium filled MBA ", can a drive have that even if it's an air drive? (mine has the little air hole).

For the periodic clicking check this thread and this thread.
There they talk about disabling SMART monitoring, ATA Statistics Support or reduce polling rate.
For me updating to hwinfo 7.16 eliminated the clicking without changing any setting