Hard drive wont work....

mj.huber900

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
I have a computer im selling, and I have 2 hard drives an 80 gig one (mine) and the 500 gig one (selling), my computer that im keeping isn't working with my 80 GB hard drive, or my 500 GB one. But when I put ether of the hard drives in the computer im selling it works,
I get the underscore on broken computer.

*In short*
Old computer wont boot windows (shows flashing underscore)
same hard drive boots in different computer

Solution
Generally you can't take OS drive of one pc, put it into a different pc and expect it to boot.
For this to work, bios settings regarding boot process have to be configured the same. Also drivers from original system may prevent boot on a different system. Ideally both computers would need identical hardware for guarantied boot.

Blinking underscore could mean, that one pc is configured for UEFI boot and the other - for legacy boot.
Generally you can't take OS drive of one pc, put it into a different pc and expect it to boot.
For this to work, bios settings regarding boot process have to be configured the same. Also drivers from original system may prevent boot on a different system. Ideally both computers would need identical hardware for guarantied boot.

Blinking underscore could mean, that one pc is configured for UEFI boot and the other - for legacy boot.

Solution