Hard Drives 101: Magnetic Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Even though we shun hard drives in this era of SSDs, magnetic storage is really quite remarkable. In this piece, we dive into the history of hard drives, dissect the technology that makes them work, and explore the advances that give us 3 TB drives today.

Hard Drives 101: Magnetic Storage : Read more

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
"Density initially grew at a rate of about 25% per year (doubling every four years)"

If density grows at 25% per year it would actually double in just barely over 3 years. At 4 years it would be 144% greater.

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]"Density initially grew at a rate of about 25% per year (doubling every four years)"If density grows at 25% per year it would actually double in just barely over 3 years. At 4 years it would be 144% greater.[/citation]

No you're wrong, how embarrassing :). You're using compound interest. Quit trying to be a smartass

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]johnners2981[/nom]No you're wrong, how embarrassing . You're using compound interest. Quit trying to be a smartass[/citation]

I'm no math guy, in fact i suck at it, but I see his point, why wouldn't it be compound? and even at compound interest is 144 still accurate? please enplane

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I believe soccerdocks is right - example...
Beginning value: 10
After one year: 12.5
After two years: 15.625
After three years: 19.531 (Almost double)
After four years: 24.41

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]Device Unknown[/nom]I'm no math guy, in fact i suck at it, but I see his point, why wouldn't it be compound? and even at compound interest is 144 still accurate? please enplane[/citation]

Please enplane??? Compound interest is used to calculate interest and not things like density.
They were right in saying "doubling every four years" and he was trying to correct them when there was no need so showed him who's boss, oh yeah

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]I believe soccerdocks is right - example...Beginning value: 10After one year: 12.5After two years: 15.625After three years: 19.531 (Almost double)After four years: 24.41[/citation]

His calculation is right not the application, why is he using compound interest to calculate the percentage increase in density? It doesn't make sense.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]johnners2981[/nom]His calculation is right not the application, why is he using compound interest to calculate the percentage increase in density? It doesn't make sense.[/citation]It's not compound "interest", but it is compounding. If you say something increases 25% each year, you can't just keep adding 25% of the original value! Silly.

striker410

Distinguished
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]It's not compound "interest", but it is compounding. If you say something increases 25% each year, you can't just keep adding 25% of the original value! Silly.[/citation]
I agree with the others on this one. Since it's adding 25% each year, it is compound. You are thinking of it from the wrong angle.

asymetriccircle

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2008
ok i dont know all this interest shenanigans, but that first diagram, shouldn't the magnetic field be going the other way given the direction of current they show? i was just thinking right hand rule.

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]It's not compound "interest", but it is compounding. If you say something increases 25% each year, you can't just keep adding 25% of the original value! Silly.[/citation]

How's it silly? If you're going compound annually then why not compound it monthly, daily, hourly then???

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]johnners2981[/nom]How's it silly? If you're going compound annually then why not compound it monthly, daily, hourly then???[/citation]You HAVE to compound it at some interval, and since the author said 25% PER YEAR...

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]You HAVE to compound it at some interval, and since the author said 25% PER YEAR...[/citation]

You don't have to compound it, the author also says it doubles in 4 years which obviously involves NO COMPOUNDING

bobfrys

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Either way the author made a mistake. If you say density increases 25% a year that means 25% larger THAN THE PREVIOUS YEAR.

If they extrapolated that 25% number from doubling every 4 years then they did their math wrong. It all depends which number is the real number, and which number did they incorrectly pulled out of their ass.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
You have to compound it with the same length as the growth rate is factored in. That's the only way the metrics make sense. It means that each year is 25% more storage than the last year.

PhoneyVirus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Getting this for Christmas from the girlfriend I have 18th edition witch was the best version for the FSB X48 last of its kind the good old days, the 19th Edition felt like there was to much information took out. I'm hoping 20th Packs the info about Core 5/7 and some AMD, I found older versions didn't talk about ADM much so again I hope its packed. Looking forward to reading the book this winter well after Christmas then Windows 7 inside out deluxe edition here I come.

Nnymrod

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Hard drives are really cool, and while SSDs are definitely better in almost every way, and are most definitely the future... I still like hearing platters spin up :) And they will be the best option for backup drives for awhile.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]asymetriccircle[/nom]ok i dont know all this interest shenanigans, but that first diagram, shouldn't the magnetic field be going the other way given the direction of current they show? i was just thinking right hand rule.[/citation]
Actually he is showing the electron flow with the arrows in the first diagram, but the current is the 'positive flow' which is the opposite of the electron flow.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Nnymrod[/nom]Hard drives are really cool, and while SSDs are definitely better in almost every way, and are most definitely the future... I still like hearing platters spin up And they will be the best option for backup drives for awhile.[/citation]
Except as of right now, solid state storage has a capacity limit that won't go much further(as a guess). The oxide layer in solid state drives right now barely holds up to a few thousand writes, and as each 'holding cell' for the bits gets smaller this oxide layer becomes less durable. It won't be long before we either reach a point where durability becomes a problem, or the storage media just can't get any smaller(already at or below 34nm).

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I was thinking more about this. If this holds true "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kryder" then even 25% is low. Mr. Kryder details that Hard Disc density doubles every year. Not 25% (compounded or not)

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]fstrthnu[/nom]Well Tom's Hardware certainly did their homework here[/citation]This is an except from a book. Scott Mueller did his homework, not Tom's.

abdussamad

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Now if only they could figure out a way to recycle hard disks. Just wondering how many drives have been thrown away all these years. Can't be repaired and can't be recycled. Seems a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.